How much do you have in your savings account?

F1ve_Claw

In actual savings (excl anything remotely 'investment') I'm at R42 147.89 . Have not been historically good at keeping easily accessible funs, so I'm pretty proud of getting that far!

The 7% interest is outperforming my actual investments, which has a bit of an ironic bite to it.

Method

Executive Member
In actual savings (excl anything remotely 'investment') I'm at R42 147.89 . Have not been historically good at keeping easily accessible funs, so I'm pretty proud of getting that far!

The 7% interest is outperforming my actual investments, which has a bit of an ironic bite to it.
Yep that's the worst part of it all. Investments aren't growing as much as just popping your money into a Fixed Deposit account :(

Brawler

Executive Member
Enough to keep me going for a year or so. With the current situation in SA I take comfort knowing I can leave tomorrow.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
Currently 0 in a savings account because I use my access bond to keep easily accessible cash. Available cash in the bond is a few hundred k.

wizardofid

Executive Member
R9545,23 fixed deposit, plus 3 months living expenses in normal savings account.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Seems like you living life properly
Based on my bank balance...? There are people with way more that are significantly less happy than I am, and people with way less that are significantly more happy than I am. Once you have enough money to cover your basic needs and remove the stress of worrying about the next couple of months' expenses, it sort of loses its meaning in the short term.

Method

Executive Member
Based on my bank balance...? There are people with way more that are significantly less happy than I am, and people with way less that are significantly more happy than I am. Once you have enough money to cover your basic needs and remove the stress of worrying about the next couple of months' expenses, it sort of loses its meaning in the short term.
Living on basic needs isn't going to make anyone happy, though.

Snyper564

Expert Member
I have started following some of what the minimalists (google them you will find a lot of info) say the last year or so.

I have stopped my pursuit for more STUFF and for the most part useless stuff. There is nothing wrong with buying something, as long as it truly adds value to your life. Also you shouldn't be buying anything on debt (house not included - not getting into car conversation) if you are buying a TV on credit you shouldn't be doing it. Don't care if you can afford the installment in reality you are impatient and your impatience will cost you interest.

I am a happier person not constantly chasing after the latest fad/technology/car and my bank balance reflects this very nicely.

Bilaal687_

Issue is I'm greedy if I'm being honest I don't know how people are content with what they have in terms of finance etc

jman

Expert Member
I have started following some of what the minimalists (google them you will find a lot of info) say the last year or so.

I have stopped my pursuit for more STUFF and for the most part useless stuff. There is nothing wrong with buying something, as long as it truly adds value to your life. Also you shouldn't be buying anything on debt (house not included - not getting into car conversation) if you are buying a TV on credit you shouldn't be doing it. Don't care if you can afford the installment in reality you are impatient and your impatience will cost you interest.

I am a happier person not constantly chasing after the latest fad/technology/car and my bank balance reflects this very nicely.
I like this philosophy. Trying to get my SO to like it too lol.

It's also about balance though - I'm not going to live like a peasant in order to have a big bank balance. And at the same time, I'm not going to live like a millionaire, but always being in debt

Messugga

Honorary Master
Living on basic needs isn't going to make anyone happy, though.
Perhaps. I don't feel that that's necessarily a universal truth, even though it applies to myself. I don't live off of baked beans and toast and water. I don't drive an econobox. I certainly do appreciate the finer things in life. What I'm saying, however, is that I don't think I'm much of a happier person for it. The discontent I feel for the status quo, which manifests in my ambition and a hunger to change things, isn't being satiated by my expenses, the expenses is simply a byproduct of the aforementioned which allows for excess funds to essentially be wasted on stuff we as humans don't really need. The work I do and what I achieve has a far more significant impact on my state of mind than how much money's sitting in my bank account. I don't ever want to retire anyway. It'll drive me insane.