How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Lupus

Honorary Master
2 adults and 1 1/2 year old, 4 dogs and 3 stray cats who are now ours, roughly 4k

wizdumb

Expert Member
Lets see.

My girlfriend and I.

About R450 per week on groceries (R1800)
Weekend we usually eat out so I guess that counts to and I spend about R500 per weekend but that includes dop etc. (R2000)
Then about another R500 per month on lunches at work etc.

So about R4300

almost the same here, although I and try only buy lunch at work once a week. unsure what the GF does though

P

Picard

I spent R700 just for this weekend.

And i live alone. And there is no red meat anywhere in sight ... or fish or wine.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I think around r4500 for a family of four including toiletries.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Spent R1300 at pick n pay today. Toiletries and cat food mainly.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I'm not surrised at some of these figures.

I've seen some seriously full shopping carts filled with a lot of "empty nutrition"

For me its R3K and I only buy necessities, save the rest.

Mars

Honorary Master
We spend about R5k a month.

Tho we pay R600 a week to a company that cooks and delivers our food Mon to Fri. They deliver a portion for 4, but since both my kids are still small there is usually lunch for me and my wife for the next day.
I think it saves us money and time.

The other R2400 is spent on weekends and eating out.

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
R600 a week sounds cheap - would love to do something like that. What's their name and where are they based?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
R600 a week sounds cheap - would love to do something like that. What's their name and where are they based?
It does - kinda dependent on quality of food though. Varies greatly when random places cook for you, esp when they don't have to uphold a restaurant rep.

Mila

Honorary Master
Did the weekend run Sunday.
( mr Mila stayed home so I only bought essentials )

My weekly bill is up with R150 in the last 6 months :eek:

Time to start the veggie patch.

Mars

Honorary Master

www.doorstepshef.co.za

It does - kinda dependent on quality of food though. Varies greatly when random places cook for you, esp when they don't have to uphold a restaurant rep.

Their meals are not WOW, but its actually very good. Tonight was a pasta something with chicken parmesan schnitzels. Its varied and definitely worth the money.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Well there is something to be said for scaling. If they can do it right then they could def undercut prices and deliver quality.

e.g. You can cook up a wicked stew for 100 people easier & cheaper than 100 people can cook up a single portion stew.

Bit wary of the idea though - most businesses seem to start getting greedy once they hit a sure thing w/ a stable customer base.