How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

DuckKnuckle

Expert Member
R800...questionable diet brother - far too little food.

2 people, I think around R5-6k.
It actually isn't.

Bowl of oats at 08h00. Steamed potato and tin of tuna at 12h00. 2 eggs and a tomato at 16h00 and then a steamed chicken breast and cup of steamed broccoli at 20h00.

With the workout, I'm dropping 2kg a month :)

Necropolis

Executive Member
Looking at +- R4k per month for 2 people including cleaning supplied and toiletries.

used to be quite a bit more before we cut Woolworths out completely.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Yeah so... like I said in another thread, we get by on a R6k budget for a family of 5 and on normal months can go quite a bit under that. This month, that included several pricier dinners like a lamb shank and we had guests for a few days, and it's still in budget.

Cicero

Expert Member
It actually isn't.

Bowl of oats at 08h00. Steamed potato and tin of tuna at 12h00. 2 eggs and a tomato at 16h00 and then a steamed chicken breast and cup of steamed broccoli at 20h00.

Ok, fair enough, not bad food there I concede. Thought you were maybe just having salads and skipping bfasts etc.

I try and eat pretty healthy, similar foods to you, but just a lot more of it to keep my weight up. Just costs a lot more coz of the quantity.
Oats, eggs, chicken fillets, sweet potato, brown rice, lean steak, avo, veges, bananas, pineapple, nuts, etc.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Some people can do a lot with a very little. I know people who destroy us on food budgeting and still manage to eat well for it.

gjm

We (2 adults) spend about R4-5k on groceries, toiletries and cleaning supplies, i.e. everything we buy from Checkers, but excluding take-outs and eating out which is about R800.

I always thought our groceries bill is about R3k p.m. until I started to track our expenses with Pastel My Money 3 months ago. Although I did not overspend before that it is quite an eye opener to see exactly where and how we spend our money.

Last edited:

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I was watching Extreme Couponing on TLC with the wife the other day.

One of the families there bought $2k worth of groceries and the supermarket had to pay them $47 because they had too many coupons. If only we got something like that here in SA!

Paul_S

Expert Member
I was watching Extreme Couponing on TLC with the wife the other day.

One of the families there bought $2k worth of groceries and the supermarket had to pay them $47 because they had too many coupons. If only we got something like that here in SA!
It would not work here.
It only works in the USA because most people are not bothered about redeeming coupons. The few that do take advantage of coupons are being subsidized by the normal paying customers.
If they tried it in South Africa hardly anyone would be paying for groceries and the retailers or manufacturers would go bankrupt.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
It actually isn't.

Rather get sick instead, quicker :p

I lost 4kg's in one week due to gastric flu.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Disagree; we are 2.5 ppl & get by with R1500 up to R2k a month.

Wife is in the catering biz & is bloody efficient & makes quality food.

No alcohol; smokes; get together braais etc.

zululami

Banned
About R3500 for one 4 yr old, myself and the sweet lady in my life! Half of that is spent on meat! We eat meat!!!

cerebus

Honorary Master
It would not work here.
It only works in the USA because most people are not bothered about redeeming coupons. The few that do take advantage of coupons are being subsidized by the normal paying customers.
I disagree. When I was in the US, we used coupons all the time, and pretty much everybody did. In those days the Saturday paper would be bulked up with coupon books, and you'd take it with you to go shopping. It was a bit of a hassle, but everyone did it. Of course we never got into the extreme couponing side of it because that wasn't a thing back then, but honestly I think the reason it hasn't worked here is because supermarkets run on tighter margins and they're more afraid of risk-taking. They would rather just post their weekly discounts for everyone in the paper. Checkers is beginning to have a couponing system but it's very poorly implemented.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I disagree. When I was in the US, we used coupons all the time, and pretty much everybody did. In those days the Saturday paper would be bulked up with coupon books, and you'd take it with you to go shopping. It was a bit of a hassle, but everyone did it. Of course we never got into the extreme couponing side of it because that wasn't a thing back then, but honestly I think the reason it hasn't worked here is because supermarkets run on tighter margins and they're more afraid of risk-taking. They would rather just post their weekly discounts for everyone in the paper. Checkers is beginning to have a couponing system but it's very poorly implemented.
Interesting...

I have also read that certain aspects on Extreme Couponing are rather bogus

http://business.time.com/2012/11/05/former-extreme-couponer-admits-its-a-waste-of-time/

http://www.moneycrashers.com/myths-tlc-extreme-couponing/

akescpt

Honorary Master
watched a show last week. that couponing is crazy. supposed to be $360. she got it like for $35 dollars but was panicking because she wasn't sure she had enough money.

we must be averaging 2.5k I reckon