How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Sonic2k

Executive Member
As groceries become more expensive.. I am finding that it's actually cheaper to live on takeaways these days... as unhealthy as that is. My grocery spend as a single guy is roughly 2.5 to 3k and I can easily get by on just under R100 worth of takeaways a day.

I guess eating healthy these days has to come at a premium.

We found this to be true. So we went as far as to get the local corner cafe to make the meals ready for us so we could collect after work.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
As groceries become more expensive.. I am finding that it's actually cheaper to live on takeaways these days... as unhealthy as that is. My grocery spend as a single guy is roughly 2.5 to 3k and I can easily get by on just under R100 worth of takeaways a day.

I guess eating healthy these days has to come at a premium.
Nah. Cooking yourself will always be cheaper, especially if done in bulk (or same price and better quality if you prefer that).

Ive got a small fridge though...that kinda sucks in achieving economies of scale

oober

Expert Member
Hmm checked the average for the last 6 months. 4k for two adults. This excludes eating out.

KingBel

Expert Member
We found this to be true. So we went as far as to get the local corner cafe to make the meals ready for us so we could collect after work.

Considering something similar. Perhaps gonna try fitchef 21 day challenge to see how that work out.

patrick

Expert Member
R3000 when I was living alone, now it's probably about R4500 with the SO. I eat low carb, so the meat and cheese seems to be a big portion of that!

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
No. we don't shop often at Woolies. And don't buy ready to eat from pre-warming microwave meals.

Yep, those are the expensive kinds.

Make your own food.

My food used to cost me a lot less (I don't eat meat), but the BF does so...yeah :p Bastard should go veg!

Paul_S

Executive Member
My food used to cost me a lot less (I don't eat meat), but the BF does so...yeah :p Bastard should go veg!

Fruit and vegetables isn't cheap!
My 2 year old goes through about 3kg of bananas every two days and it starts to add up really fast.
Maybe a high protein diet is cheaper. ;)

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Fruit and vegetables isn't cheap!
My 2 year old goes through about 3kg of bananas every two days and it starts to add up really fast.
Maybe a high protein diet is cheaper. ;)

Well...like I said...my veg diet is cheaper than the added meat diet.

Been vegan for more than 2 years now. I'd think I would know wtf I'm talking about.

chewiesw

Expert Member
It scares me when I work it out, but then again I am paying for a family (5). The thing I have learnt is to shop around and take advantage of specials, plan what you are going to eat for the week in advance and go and get that. "Quickly" hoping in to the local shop for the nights meal can gets expensive in the long run.

L

Leonidas

"Quickly" hoping in to the local shop for the nights meal can gets expensive in the long run.

Because you always end up buying stuff you don't need.

Or you buy more things because you are probably already hungry at that stage.

heartbroken

Expert Member
It scares me when I work it out, but then again I am paying for a family (5). The thing I have learnt is to shop around and take advantage of specials, plan what you are going to eat for the week in advance and go and get that. "Quickly" hoping in to the local shop for the nights meal can gets expensive in the long run.

From this thread, the thing I learnt is plan your family.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
:wtf: please post your grocery list. My electricity alone is 775 this month

Get your house electric usage down to Amp20 at the municipality and you will get approx 102.8 units of elec/R100
We spend R200 - R300 on elec per month.
Gas geyser helps us a lot and it costs R408 every 2 months to fill a 19KG gas cylinder.

As for food, 2 or 3 packs of lambs. Will get you the details when I get home.
Rice and... the usual groceries.

A pot of food last 2 - 3 days.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
What's this amp20?

Amp20 or whatever they call it. As can be seen from the photo, and I am not sure how it works in your municipality, but if your house is on BDPS30 or 40 then you have to pay the municipality a certain amount every month.
If your house is on BDPS20, then you qualify for low cost housing where electricity is cheaper.

Capture.jpg