How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
We've gone from groceries to bum rashes...

Lovely.
Kids are groceries...but tbh, I separate baby supplies from groceries in my budget. Groceries for me is food and consumables for the kitchen/bathroom ie: soaps etc.

fruitbat

Kids are groceries...but tbh, I separate baby supplies from groceries in my budget. Groceries for me is food and consumables for the kitchen/bathroom ie: soaps etc.
So.. i don't split my shopping up. To me - checkers pnp ww and spar spend is groceries. No matter what I buy there. There's no way I'm going to split my shopping trips up or scrutinize my till slips.
I do have 2 small kids and thankfully we are almost at the end of formula for the youngest ;-)
The ways I'm going to cut my spend at these shops is to change where I buy my meat and put in a few no meat dishes per week.

fruitbat

tried, nothing worked, only bepanthen. we might give sudo a try again, it didnt work when the kid was still an infant but now that she's older maybe it'll work.
My 2 cents on this that we used...
Bennett bum cream was our norm.
And Antipeol cream for when things got nasty. that dried up the nappy rash quick for us.
The ingredient in the cream that made the difference, was a particular acid that started with an S. Can't remember the name. But antipeol had it.

Bepanthen for my kids was useless.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Only used Sudo after the Bepanthen we got free was finished.

I have never seen a nappie rash in two years.

L

Leonidas

I haven't read this thread in some time, but I spend way too much.

A lot go to waste, I'm ashamed to say.

It's difficult to cook for one just person. You buy things (packets of things - a bag of carrots for example) but you can't eat it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Method

Executive Member
I haven't read this thread in some time, but I spend way too much.

A lot go to waste, I'm ashamed to say.

It's difficult to cook for one just person. You buy things (packets of things - a bag of carrots for example) but you can't eat it all.
It takes some time to adjust to.

I kook for 2 people, one is vegan so basically cook 2 single meals. Partner says I cook like someone's aunt. Lots of extra food :p

DylanAD

We spend about R2400, not including nappies. That's for myself, my wife and our 20-month-old. We were spending closer to R4000 a month when we were shopping at PnP but have since changed to Checkers. We did a comparison online, checking each site's prices and Checkers was consistently cheaper for the same product, same brand. Sometimes by as much as R10-R20. Plus a big chunk of the +/- R1000 worth of eBucks I get each month comes from shopping at Checkers, so win/win.

BeLgaRiOn

Would be interesting to see how much you guys are spending in 2017. Food inflation has certainly been insane.

I do a lot of my own cooking. Last year before heading to Europe I could get away with about R3,000 a month for 2 people. After coming back I'll be lucky if I get away with R5,000. Food prices in South Africa are definitely not cheap. Netherlands was cheaper in a lot of instances, only the meat was a premium.

4ftersh0ck

We do all our shopping at Checkers. There are four of us, me, wife, and two sons, 5 and 1. We tried to keep it @ R1,000 a week last year, then upped it to R1,250 and now we have settled it at R1,500 but we still have to be extremely careful.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with all the items we usually buy. When I get back from the store I enter the current price for the item. This way, when I enter in the quantities we need for our next shopping trip I have a fairly accurate total amount.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
For chronic bum rash, use Mazeina........best stuff ever!
apparently thats not nice

i cant rememeber what exactly the doc told us

we buy zinc cream from dischem. mix dilucort or mylocort (there is a 0.5% one for babies) and mix a fungal oitment (canex or medaspor)

this worked

my son didnt have chronic bum rash but it did get very bad and was almost raw

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
We do all our shopping at Checkers. There are four of us, me, wife, and two sons, 5 and 1. We tried to keep it @ R1,000 a week last year, then upped it to R1,250 and now we have settled it at R1,500 but we still have to be extremely careful.

I have an Excel Spreadsheet with all the items we usually buy. When I get back from the store I enter the current price for the item. This way, when I enter in the quantities we need for our next shopping trip I have a fairly accurate total amount.
i also do the shopping and seem to remember prices of what we buy

so if something is cheap we buy, if not we dont buy unless we need it

if something is cheap i buy a few so we keep it for months

so our every month shopping is different

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Grocery prices this year has easily increased by at least 10% compared to the same time last year. Maybe even closer to 15%.

KingBel

Expert Member
Would be interesting to see how much you guys are spending in 2017. Food inflation has certainly been insane.

I do a lot of my own cooking. Last year before heading to Europe I could get away with about R3,000 a month for 2 people. After coming back I'll be lucky if I get away with R5,000. Food prices in South Africa are definitely not cheap. Netherlands was cheaper in a lot of instances, only the meat was a premium.
Hello fellow Eddings fan (my nick is short for King Belgarion :))

I must say that as a single person, I have been finding that it's actually cheaper to just go with fast food. I do go on a monthly grocery shopping trip, and buy meat and veg which I freeze (and then don't use very often coz i forget to take it out to defrost :/). I'd say that my monthly bill not including the cost of fast food (probably about 1k a month), is around 2k.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
Grocery prices this year has easily increased by at least 10% compared to the same time last year. Maybe even closer to 15%.
you can still find some cheap deals

buying in bulk when it is cheap has helped us alot

we never buy anything we dont need and if we do need it and it is too expensive we can wait

unless its like meat and stuff, but with meat i buy alot if it find it cheap

so freezer is always full