How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

grump_grouch

My animals alone fall into your category, the rest of my family comes closer to @Sinbad and if you extend @Neuk_ to 4 people . We buy bulk, discount, fresh, no luxuries, etc. yet come nowhere close to your under 5K requirement.

Edit : cost does include toiletries, cleaning products, etc.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Spending a lot of money on food doesn't necessarily mean you eat a lot. As you said OP prices are redicolous. Those who spend more can afford a better life style including eating and buying quality food. If you think 5000 is too much, there are some out there who think 1000 is too much. Some spend 12K on a car and keep 2K for groceries, because image matter more than what goes into the stomach.

If you want a good comparison. List your salary and how much you spend on what. You mind spend 3K on food but 10K on medical aid.

JemJem

Spending a lot of money on food doesn't necessarily mean you eat a lot. As you said OP prices are redicolous. Those who spend more can afford a better life style including eating and buying quality food. If you think 5000 is too much, there are some out there who think 1000 is too much. Some spend 12K on a car and keep 2K for groceries, because image matter more than what goes into the stomach.

If you want a good comparison. List your salary and how much you spend on what. You mind spend 3K on food but 10K on medical aid.
brilliant reply and insight! :thumbsup:

doubletrouble

Expert Member
2 adults. 2-3k per month. excludes eating out which we do 1 or twice a week. also excludes liquor

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Two adults, one tween, one 4yo, two cats, two dogs.

Around R4k to R6k when my veggie garden is fallow (as it is now).

JemJem

sorry to say...but no more takeouts for me and the family! if the kids want pizza, ill fire up the oven and make at home. If we want burgers, ill make some at home. But sadly we wont be supporting macdonalds, kfc, debonairs, burger king, spur any longer. cant afford to anymore. have to use what was for takeaways for petrol now.

JemJem

Two adults, one tween, one 4yo, two cats, two dogs.

Around R4k to R6k when my veggie garden is fallow (as it is now).
Thats really not bad at all, if you can manage just over R4000. think i need to start a herb garden to cut costs too

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
we spend about 2.5-3.5k a month including takeout

we are 2 adults and 2 kids (3 year old and 8 months)

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Two adults. 1 adult Rottweiler. Many (~25) small koi fish. 1 very rude indian ring-neck parakeet. About R8k per month.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
We're upper-lower class. We spent around R5k a month on groceries, including house cleaning stuff and meat. It's just wife and I. Fuel is another ~R5k on top of that, but we have an annoying commute. This excludes pets (another ~R1k per month).

JemJem

we spend about 2.5-3.5k a month including takeout

we are 2 adults and 2 kids (3 year old and 8 months)
thats the best figures posted here so far! if applicable, how much is your petrol per month if i may enquire?

OCP

Expert Member
1 adult, 2 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat = R1100 a week on average including cleaning/washing materials.

Food alone would be about R800 a week.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh, excluded from mine as well, I get breakfast and lunch from work for myself.