How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Venomous

Honorary Master
My animals alone fall into your category, the rest of my family comes closer to @Sinbad and if you extend @Neuk_ to 4 people . We buy bulk, discount, fresh, no luxuries, etc. yet come nowhere close to your under 5K requirement.

Edit : cost does include toiletries, cleaning products, etc.
Exactly.

Example we have a cat, and he's on special food, else he does not do so well. And the R500 bag of food lasts just over a month. So make that R120 for the cat per week. Toiletries are often bought monthly, but the costs average out. Then there are things like washing soap, toilet cleaner. Etc. Then comes the food. I'd average that out around R6-7k per month.

JemJem

And..

How many years ago?
How often did you eat out?
How often did you skip food infavour of a lets call it a liquid diet....
that was 7 years ago
not that much, cos i never went to restaurants as a single guy. that would be weird
never had a liquid diet.
just never ate that much back then though

cerebus

Honorary Master
I'm sorry, I know you think spending upwards of 5k is insane but it really isn't. Not if you want to eat meat and good quality produce. We're a family of 5 with a dog and we spend about r9k/month on groceries. We value the quality of food we eat, and I even consider that much to be cutting it cheap with prices the way they are.

JemJem

I'm sorry, I know you think spending upwards of 5k is insane but it really isn't. Not if you want to eat meat and good quality produce. We're a family of 5 with a dog and we spend about r9k/month on groceries. We value the quality of food we eat, and I even consider that much to be cutting it cheap with prices the way they are.
wow.....i guess i never imagined that that would be considered as someone else's 'normal'.

cerebus

Honorary Master
wow.....i guess i never imagined that that would be considered as someone else's 'normal'.
What is normal to you very much depends on what you earn and what you prioritise. We could shrink it down quite a bit if we had to, and we were very tight earlier in our lives even 3 or 4 years ago. But for instance we don't have a car payment or DSTV because I just don't care about cars or DSTV. I'd rather have a cupboard full so that I can cook whatever I enjoy.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What is normal to you very much depends on what you earn and what you prioritise. We could shrink it down quite a bit if we had to, and we were very tight earlier in our lives even 3 or 4 years ago. But for instance we don't have a car payment or DSTV because I just don't care about cars or DSTV. I'd rather have a cupboard full so that I can cook whatever I enjoy.
This.
I have no DSTV, and only instalments apart from bond are on my motorbike (R1300pm).
Quality of life > stuff, and I consider eating well to be quality of life.

JemJem

I've shopped at 'Foodies' in Diepriver in Cape Town, and that saved me quite a bit of cash.

They sell non-perishable items past the 'Sell-By' Due Date. Thats one way to cut grocery costs

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
I've shopped at 'Foodies' in Diepriver in Cape Town, and that saved me quite a bit of cash.

They sell non-perishable items past the 'Sell-By' Due Date. Thats one way to cut grocery costs
you can always shop at places like 1up and giant in CPT and save

they are cheaper than your chain stores

and also make sure you know the price of goods and I also dont shop once a month

Each store has weekly specials. Buy in bulk as well and save

JemJem

you can always shop at places like 1up and giant in CPT and save

they are cheaper than your chain stores

and also make sure you know the price of goods and I also dont shop once a month

Each store has weekly specials. Buy in bulk as well and save
where is 1up and Giant in CPT?

kolaval

Expert Member
R1k a week easily.
I do the groceries( because I work in town) so i'm aware of what is being bought etc.
This year's fuel increases have definitely had an influence.

There are some stuff I just don't buy anymore, sweetie pies, ribs, bacon etc
I think I paid R36 for a box of sweetie pies( treat for the wife) in the beginning of the year.
It has gone to R51.99.

Bacon and smackaroos per kg is the same or more than bulk lamb.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
This. We don't eat expensive and if we do eat out, it's the cheap places and takeaways are usually "specials" (think Wacky Wednesday). We buy bulk for most things that last (canned goods, soaps and washing things, drinks and juice, etc.) at Makro if and when it's on special and for the rest we buy mostly fresh fruits and veggies. I order meat once every 2 months from my local butcher and I freeze. In between I'll buy steaks and stuff for braais, but mostly be live from the freezer and bulk pantry.

It's really not difficult to think that even for 2 people meat is easily ~R1,000 per month, fruits and veggies as much if not more, then you start adding sauces and spices and staples and and and. When we got married 3 years ago we got through on R3k. It's now almost double that - and we're looking at what we buy more closely. I find it almost unbelievable that a family, even of 2, comes through on under R3k per month on groceries.

JemJem

For my family, we starting to cut out red meat..as its way to expensive at the moment. Food costs have soared exorbitantly in the last few months. if chicken and fish starts going the same way, then we going to have to relook at those as well. perhaps that will be like a treat for two days a week...lol

cerebus

Honorary Master
For my family, we starting to cut out red meat..as its way to expensive at the moment. Food costs have soared exorbitantly in the last few months. if chicken and fish starts going the same way, then we going to have to relook at those as well. perhaps that will be like a treat for two days a week...lol
Fish has always been very expensive. But on the plus side pork came down a lot recently, apparently there's been a glut of supply.