How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

stoke

Honorary Master
I predict this month it's going to be R1200 for us 2, it's sitting @ R970, but there's still a bit more of the month left.

Velenoso

Expert Member
2 Adults, I've managed to get it down to around R3,500 by buying meat from a butcher. I found a real good Butchery down in Modderfontein area. I supplement the meat from Woolies if I run out. This does not include smokes and booze. That's maybe another R2,000 these days.

Go out a lot as well, between R4,000 and R5,000 a month.

I actually realized, this may look like a lot but compared to the US it's nothing, just over $1000 for the entire month! So I'm not cutting down any further. I love woolworths, real good stuff.

I'm in Zambia at the moment, you wouldn't believe these prices. This place is EXPENSIVE! They only got Spar and Shoprite here and everything is between two and three times the price of Johannesburg. Going shopping for two here for just around a week comes to about K1,000,000 (R2,000). Some of the products also look really old, I don't think they clear the shelves if something doesn't sell. Just leave it there for some unsuspecting ******* to get food poisoning.

Sackboy

Executive Member
Thats about the same as me an my wife.. at least my toiletries. She always gets other stuff elsewere and I am to afriad to ask. Buy everything from checkers if we can. I hate woolworths.
If Checkers stocked the same products, the decision would be easier, but they don't.

Kalvaer

Expert Member
If Checkers stocked the same products, the decision would be easier, but they don't.
Depends on the checkers. The checkers by us has the biggest fish and cheese selection out of any of the stores close to me, so on that point alone the beat Woolworths.

I'm also not paying woolworths prices for things like their cheese which is actually just relabeled Parmalot. You can by the exact same "extra mature chedder" for example at almost R20 less at Checkers

Sackboy

Executive Member
Depends on the checkers. The checkers by us has the biggest fish and cheese selection out of any of the stores close to me, so on that point alone the beat Woolworths.

I'm also not paying woolworths prices for things like their cheese which is actually just relabeled Parmalot. You can by the exact same "extra mature chedder" for example at almost R20 less at Checkers
Woolworths are quite pretentious. Their fruit is good quality but it tends not to be ripe. Those "ripe and sweet" labels are a joke.
You can't keep me away from their fresh bakery stall though. Those cheese straws, mosbolletjies and mini-panatone's are great (maybe CPT only).

Jewelbox

Expert Member
Keeper!

how much do you, er....eat? :sick:
If cigs cost between R1,000 and R1,200 per month, then only R3,000 remains for groceries, veggies and fruit. Is that spending too much? No, I don't eat a lot but I am very fussy about what I eat.

justplain

Expert Member
anywhere up to R1500, 1 Adult, no pets. very little eating out and then nothing very expensive either. when I add up my food costs i'm still amazed at how much i spend and it's not like I'm buying prime steak for every meal either. i cant really spend much less, otherwise i am hungry all the time.

Mila

Honorary Master
+/- R2000 for two people.

It started off a year ago at R1200 and now out retailers are just screwing us through the ears.
I have my own veggie garden and that helps with salads and stuff but the winter is comming :(

And this is after quiting on the siggies :(

@ jewelbox i want your job:)!!!!

Waaib

Executive Member
What's your monthly grocery bill?

R0 - R500
R500 - R1000
R1000 - R2000
R2000 - R4000
> R4000

My family of 4 averages about R4000 per month.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
about R1500 (for myself), probaly about R4000 with the GF ;)
i have seriously thought about going to Trade Centre and start buying in bulk to try and save costs