How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

SAguy

Executive Member
I did not mention mine because I felt guilty, but it's about the same.
Mine is that much because honestly these days it's more expensive to cook than it is to get junk food. I tend to cook a lot and try different things, but meat has gotten crazy expensive. Just to make a stew can set you back R200 in meat.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Dunno, I thought it was a grand but with prices soaring it has to be a lot higher these days.
Probably R500 a week for all meats and fruits and vegetables (excluding beer)

3WA

Honorary Master
Two people, one dog:

Checkers: R2k a month, includes food, odds and ends, beer.
PnP: R1.5k a month, for chicken, fish, and veggies.

Both the above optimised to earn back eBucks and Discovery Miles.

Restaurants and takeaways can vary from R1k on a quiet month to R5k if we're feeling gluttonous.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Monthly shopping - including meat from the butcher and non-food household items - comes to around 4k for the 2 of us plus a dog.
So, somewhat less than 2k per person per month.

duckgray

about R6000 i would guess for 2 people.
R3000 on groceries and R3000 on eating out.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I need to slow down on the shrooms
This thread just jumped to 31 pages in a nano second :oops:

SAguy

Executive Member
How much luxuries do you guys have? I get away with 6k for 3.
Not too much, but depends one what you consider a luxury. Sweets, chips, cooldrinks, etc... Maybe like R500 a month.

If you consider salmon, leg of lamb, osso bucco, lamb shanks, oxtail, etc luxuries - well then a lot more.

airborne

Honorary Master
Eating even pretty basic foods with not much meat you will struggle to get under R2k per person.

Even just having 2 cups daily of filter coffee and a rusk with each cup will set you back a good R300pm.

Supersoaker

Expert Member
Mine is that much because honestly these days it's more expensive to cook than it is to get junk food. I tend to cook a lot and try different things, but meat has gotten crazy expensive. Just to make a stew can set you back R200 in meat.
Depends on how many people you're cooking for, junk food is trash anyways, you're better off cooking in bulk and freezing it.