How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Perhaps I'm out of touch with the cost of living but I just had a "debate" with the SU about our monthly grocery shopping bill.

So I was interested in finding out how much your household spends on groceries every month? I'm more interested in a couple living alone together but those living alone or with kids can also chip in.

Must include all food (including dining out), toiletries, alcohol, basically everything you buy from PnP/Checkers/Woolies etc.

chrisc

Executive Member
Two of us, including the wine, chocolates, some deli food, we dine out 4 to 6 times a month, but usually go to a place where there are specials or pensioner's deals - R 14500 a month.

Extra - Petrol, gas, heating fuel, telephone, internet, rates and electricity, domestic help - R 7000

Wife likes buying clothes, but have not included that. Also have no long-term debt

syntax

Executive Member
Excluding take aways and alcohol at pubs etc I think we are around R2.5k
Just me and my wife.

Probably spend another R1500 on eating out and such

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Two of us, including the wine, chocolates, some deli food, we dine out 4 to 6 times a month, but usually go to a place where there are specials or pensioner's deals - R 14500 a month.

WHAT!!!!?!?!?

Are you using truffles as salt?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Single - R2000pm - one montly groceries shop trip for around R1300 and rest is odds and ends in month and take aways.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Excluding take aways and alcohol at pubs etc I think we are around R2.5k
Just me and my wife.

Probably spend another R1500 on eating out and such

Single - R2000pm - one montly groceries shop trip for around R1300 and rest is odds and ends in month and take aways.

This is more or less what I was thinking we SHOULD be spending on groceries (R4k-R5k), but I just found out that we're actually spending double that :crying:.

FrankyF

Expert Member
Dafuq you people buying?!!?

My household spends +- R3000 p/m on groceries. 2 adults and 1 toddler.

2 people: budget is R3000 pm (increased from R2800 due to general food price inflation). Usually stick to it, maybe +-R200 on either side but average is on budget.

We avoid WHL/Spar as much as possible and do large scale shopping at PnP (Discovery card+Vitality cash back+smart shopper points helps )

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This is more or less what I was thinking we SHOULD be spending on groceries (R4k-R5k), but I just found out that we're actually spending double that :crying:.

I think that is a reasonable amount yes. Now to find out why you need to monitor what and where you are spending it on. There should even be apps that help you with that.

Obviously I buy monthly in bigger size the things I know I will want at the hypermarket, say a pack of 30 (say that costs R39m while 18 cost R28) eggs because I know I will eat a pair at least most work mornings, and similar for viennas and fishfingers and soapd and deoderant and and. But I buy a small pack of tomatos and a bread each weekend, cause they wont hold for a month if bought in quantity.

akescpt

Honorary Master
fookit. 2.5k. what am i not buying? 14k :wtf:

2 adults+16y/o+baby

baby goodies is about 1.25k

Last edited:

Aghori

Honorary Master
I buy groceries for around R1200 - R1400 per month, and a few hundred rands accross the month for milk, bread etc. This is for 4 people in the household. Also R300 for veggies during the course of the month. So the total monthly spend would be roughly R2000.

Last edited:

azbob

Honorary Master
WHAT!!!!?!?!?

Are you using truffles as salt?

I think we know by now that when it comes to chrisc4290, you need to take everything he says with a pinch of [-]salt[/-] truffles.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I buy groceries for around R1200 - R1400 per month, and a few hundred rands accross the month for milk, bread etc. This is for 4 people in the household. Also R300 for veggies during the course of the month. So the total monthly spend would be roughly R2000.

Feed your folks bastid! :wtf:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
R2500 in "static" costs for groceries and toiletries etc.

Another R1000 at restaurants if our budget allows, which happens much more frequently since my wife stopped smoking.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think we know by now that when it comes to chrisc4290, you need to take everything he says with a pinch of [-]salt[/-] truffles.

Hardly that unheard of.

My ex boss easily spent R9000-R12000 a month with Mr Delivery alone.