How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

hsmnel

I buy groceries for around R1200 - R1400 per month, and a few hundred rands accross the month for milk, bread etc. This is for 4 people in the household. Also R300 for veggies during the course of the month. So the total monthly spend would be roughly R2000.
Sorry - provide proof with slips as I cannot believe this. Or you are only eating once a day in small quantities

Sinbad

Honorary Master
**** I went to pick n pay for a bit of meat for the braai, charcoal, lighters, some cat litter, couple of odds and ends and it was 800 bucks.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
@chris does that R14500 include flights to the US ?

i think your groceries this month should be higher with the poor rand exchange

MKFrost

Expert Member
If it was just for us then around R4k a month but have not seen this in months. Our total grocery bill usually runs anything from around R8k to R11k for the month - excluding dining out.

Usually consists of the once a month run of around R6-8k and then the weekly Spar/Woolies/Checkers etc.. runs which can be anything from R300 to R800 a trip depending on what is bought.

I have to add just for clarity, we entertain often and have people over, at least twice a week and almost every weekend and the wife usually end up providing all side dishes, salads and the like when we braai. Son also constantly have friends over (this past weekend had a total of 8 boys here for the whole weekend) and as teenagers they are all like grasshoppers....

Celine

Executive Member
we spend on average R1500 per week and sometimes a bit more. 2 adults and 2 almost adult kids. 17 and 19 years old.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Our groceries averages +/- R2500, entertainments costs, ahem… drinks is getting costly nowadays. I also buy Hantam meat and game meat bulk when available (good to know the providers), go a long way and keeps things more or less within annual budget. Steak on the other hand is also expensive, tend to buy Rib-eye and Porterhouse when I braai, other steak cuts like Rump and Sirloin goes on the gas plate so I tend to save here since I braai a lot. Also, alcohol is obtainable via buddies… Save save save, utilise the people I know and the Portuguese comes very handy in these scenarios.

Wall

Sports Addict
I think a lot of saving could be had if you buy some stuff in bulk or when they on offer.

E.g. if we see soap on offer, we normally get quite a few. All those small rands add up.

We spend about 2K at home. Dinning out not included.

Also, I'm vegetarian if that helps :confused:

ozziej

Yeah, we're at about R2500 pm including everything for groceries and toiletries. 2 adults plus one toddler