How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Ry4n

R2600pm groceries and +-R2500pm for food at work and restaurants (Me and GF)
Pubs are excluded :D
R2550 Each.

Cube3

Expert Member
I think the important question is WHERE are you shopping for your groceries ? Might be a good idea to see what people consume during a week or month.

My SO and her family eat free range, Woolworths, organic and its so fking expensive I just want to shoot myself. I would eat from Pep Stores if they sold food.

Friedpet

6 months ago me and my wife would easily spend R2500 per month on groceries.
That was too much so we made a few changes: Now it's down to ±R1000 per month.
We don't go to Spar or Woolworths, only PicknPay and our local market for fresh fruits and veggies. We buy a lot less frozen packs. We're also only eating meat every 2nd day.

Jakes147

Expert Member
6 months ago me and my wife would easily spend R2500 per month on groceries.
That was too much so we made a few changes: Now it's down to ±R1000 per month.
We don't go to Spar or Woolworths, only PicknPay and our local market for fresh fruits and veggies. We buy a lot less frozen packs. We're also only eating meat every 2nd day.

So do you only do friedpets? how about grilled?

Friedpet

So do you only do friedpets? how about grilled?

No, fried only!
The reasons are 2 fold:
1. I need the extra calories from frying foods
2. I don't want to live past 40 eating my current diet, so I'd much rather die of a heart attack ;)

chrisc

Executive Member
Well, I don't know how you all manage on those small amounts. I didn't think my wife and I were splurgers, but a trolley-full of groceries every week at Pick n Pay is at least R1300. I also believe that life is too short to drink plonk, so try and get decent wines. These can come from wineries off the R44 in Stellenbosch or the "Wines of the World" at Checkers. We have a domestic 4 days a week and a gardener once a week. I do run a house in Montagu as well, but that does not cost much when we are in Cape Town. I also buy quite a few CDs a month, so maybe that contributes to the total. I actually have no idea what groceries cost as a proportion of my total monthly outgoings, so just took the total of my expenses and attempted to cost it. Is that not what was originally asked, how much it costs to live?

DominionZA

Executive Member
My wife must NOT see this thread. She often tells me how much she is plugging into monthly groceries and I argue with her that she is spending wrong etc... Seems I am wrong - big time.

Our spend is around R9k PM. 2 adults and 3 kids (2 teenagers).
This is only groceries. Dining out and stuff is totally separate.

It seems - based on what I have seen above - she is actually doing quite well.

/Time to beg for forgiveness.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
eh don't know.

2.5k maybe (single)? Excl booze & dining out.

Personally I consider that to be on the high side. e.g. That includes quite a bit of shopping at Woolies etc.

mike156

We get away with roughly 2.2k per month incl milk and bread. My sister, spends about 16k per month :mad:

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Me and wife: she does the month start shopping to get the bulk basics like toiletries, cleaning stuff, mince, chicken breasts, bacon, and some pantry stuff. Usually about R1 200. Then I do the daily fresh produce stuff. That would be about two or three times a week at average R150 a shot. So that is another R1 800. Then you take the braais into consideration and that will be about R 350 plus so easily R3 500. This excludes dining out. Must say I love cooking, so tend to cook nice dishes instead of egg on toast or sarmies, and use fresh herbs and fresh packed bags of salad leaves. What does save a lot is portioning your meat. We will buy a pack of chicken breasts and split into freezer bags. Split a pack of bacon too.

Carol35

Expert Member
We budget 6k for 4adults and 1 child, I will budget an extra 1k when the son is home during holidays as he eats and eats aaaaaand eats and sadly, there is no pause button. I shop weekly as ive found the best specials in the middle of the month. We don't cook every night...so about 3 nights a week we have "buffet" aka help-self. We eat very well on weekends. I sit with pamphlets once a week from spar, checkers and pnp and list specials. I go to all 3 and get what's needed. I also budget R200 a month for excellent specials...and will stock up on that item. Currently I'm sitting with about 3 months worth of washing powder and toilets rolls that have been recent specials. I have a friend in the catering business so get alot of stuff from her that she buys on her discounted rates like bacon, mince etc etc..helps alot.

We don't eat out or get takeaways. If I save well in the week, the husband gets whiskey and I get beers on Friday night, we breathe a sigh of relief and get sloshed! :D

Sly21C

Expert Member
I spend too much! I live alone and I spend about R2000 on average on food. This includes eating out but excludes toiletries. The R2000 is only for food, i.e. what goes into your mouth and comes out..... :D

Last edited: