How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Three kids, one wife,two cats, one dog,Spar,R 12 000pm...... Includes the TOPS......but have cut back, live like a king..... Mmmmh! Fonuts,what can't they do?

kimimaro

6 months ago me and my wife would easily spend R2500 per month on groceries.
That was too much so we made a few changes: Now it's down to ±R1000 per month.
We don't go to Spar or Woolworths, only PicknPay and our local market for fresh fruits and veggies. We buy a lot less frozen packs. We're also only eating meat every 2nd day.
Agree +-1000. I buy from evergreen.

pulling wire

Our groceries averages +/- R2500, entertainments costs, ahem… drinks is getting costly nowadays. I also buy Hantam meat and game meat bulk when available (good to know the providers), go a long way and keeps things more or less within annual budget. Steak on the other hand is also expensive, tend to buy Rib-eye and Porterhouse when I braai, other steak cuts like Rump and Sirloin goes on the gas plate so I tend to save here since I braai a lot. Also, alcohol is obtainable via buddies… Save save save, utilise the people I know and the Portuguese comes very handy in these scenarios.
You care to share your contact for game meat! I bough some Springbok form Checkers Hyper last week, I guess I m not looking hard enough as I have not come across any game meat in JHB.

Ms_S

myself, husband and baby- about R3200. The big month end shopping trip is about R1800-R2000, and the balance is used through out the month on bread, veg, juice. All shopping is done only at Checkers. This weekend we decided to cut out the sweets and luxuries, and our bill was only R1200.

What hurts me the most is the baby's Purity food...its R7,99 a jar, and he eats it twice a day. I have a freezer full of homemade puree that he refuses to eat. A butternut is only R6, and I can get several jars of food from that.

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
myself, husband and baby- about R3200. The big month end shopping trip is about R1800-R2000, and the balance is used through out the month on bread, veg, juice. All shopping is done only at Checkers. This weekend we decided to cut out the sweets and luxuries, and our bill was only R1200.

What hurts me the most is the baby's Purity food...its R7,99 a jar, and he eats it twice a day. I have a freezer full of homemade puree that he refuses to eat. A butternut is only R6, and I can get several jars of food from that.
It might be worth tweaking your recipe till he likes it. Maybe mix in more and more of the homemade puree into the purity untill he is converted...

Our little one is still on formula only so this lies ahead for us.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Myself, wife and a 3 and 6 year old: about R2 000 on groceries, R1 000 at the butcher and R200 at the fruit & veg. That's R3 200 per month. We don't dine out much

The total above excludes any and all alcohol.

Perhaps I should mention we buy all our groceries at Shoprite

Honey Badger

Honorary Master

OT, but how old is he?

Chi Chi

Me + 1 12-year old + 2 dogs + 1 cat = around R7k per month. Includes all food, toiletries, cleaning products, wine. I usually buy the basics at Pick n Pay, the rest at Spar or Woolies. We do only eat fresh fruit & veggies, and that probably includes entertaining once a month - no eating out.

Have made it my personal challenge to reduce this to R4.5k per month, 7k seems exorbitant for 2 people.

chicken247

R 8742.45 avg for last year, Me plus family of 7. Not including booze and drugs.

F1 Fan

Expert Member
+-R1200 a month. Just the wife and I.

This includes everything for the house(no alcohol) and exlcudes eating out, which we do a lot. I can't have a meal without some form of meat (meat, chicken, vienna etc).

marco79

Expert Member
We spend about R6k to R7k per month including about 3 or 4 trips to Spur/McDonalds/Ocean Basket. 2 Adults and 3 kids (11, 6 & 2 years).

ichigo

Executive Member
2k-3k on groceries for my mom and I maybe less and R350 for the Cat Food and R600 for the Dog Food so I would gestimate 4k-5k monthly if I included eating out and other things.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Sorry - provide proof with slips as I cannot believe this. Or you are only eating once a day in small quantities
Shall do so at the end of this month, the main reason for the low costs is that the household is vegetarian.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Shall do so at the end of this month, the main reason for the low costs is that the household is vegetarian.
meh forget the slips - inquisition day is only every other Thursday. If you just give ball park figures & approx recipes it should be enough to get an idea of how you manage that.

Personally I'd be interested in: main sources of protein, ratio of carbs to fresh veg.

Brawler

Executive Member
Lets see.

My girlfriend and I.

About R450 per week on groceries (R1800)
Weekend we usually eat out so I guess that counts to and I spend about R500 per weekend but that includes dop etc. (R2000)
Then about another R500 per month on lunches at work etc.

So about R4300

Last edited:

muazzamb

Myself, wife and 1 x 1.5 y/o baby.

1500 makro
500 meat
500 can foods and stuff from pnp that we cant get at makro
2*250 fruit and veggie visits for the month so 500
150 for bread for the month
750-1000 eat out

+-4000 a month.

This excludes nappies and formula which is generally 1000 for the month.