How much do you spend on your monthly grocery bill?

Paul_S

Expert Member
R4500 to R5000 per month for two adults + baby + 3 dogs (2 small and 1 big one).
That covers everything from food to toiletries and even nappies for the little one.
No eating out - too expensive.

yebocan

Honorary Master
2 Adults -both male 28 and 33, come in around 1300 per month....rarely consume meat, fresh fruit everyday, from the guy in Adderley Street. Pick up vegs as needed from Fruit and Veg, up in Gardens. Mornings is Bokomo Oasts, or WeetBix, quick and easy...usually skip lunch...supper, is mostly veg based.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Usually between R1800 and R2500 for two adults and a child. A lot depends on how many snacks, like nuts and dried fruit, I buy.

It might be worth tweaking your recipe till he likes it. Maybe mix in more and more of the homemade puree into the purity untill he is converted...
That's what we did. Only occasions where we used the bottled stuff was for convenience when travelling.

Sensorei

Executive Member
R5000+ for 2 adults, a 1 year old, dog + cat. :confused:. Need to rethink this, we're wasting money. Problem is my wife insists in Woolies food and she hates cooking. R15 per main meal for a 1 year old baby. Crazy.

kripstoe

Expert Member
For me and the SO (she's tiny), it's probably +-R3500 pm.

Fascinating thread. Alternates between "how the **** do you spend so much" and "how the **** do you spend so little".

Sensorei

Executive Member
I think a major determining factor is the cooking skills of whoever does most of the cooking and if someone actually enjoys prepping food. That can save a household a lot of money.

Icarium

Expert Member
Living alone: R200 a week for breakfast and bought lunches, another R200 a week on pre cooked meals and toiletries. Eat out about twice a month. I don't snack and I don't drink. So roughly R2k - R2.5k a month.

But I only eat at home 3 or 4 times a week. I eat at the GF's house or at the parents several times a week, which is not at my cost.

If I wasn't too lazy to cook I could probably cut that in half, but I am...

mak2000

Expert Member
Thanks Guys. This thread just made me realise I need to cut back on spending so much on takeaways and eating out.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Would be interesting to know what ppl are doing to achieve an under 1k average per person per month by means of a further breakdown

Agreed.
2.5 kg of maize meal is pretty cheap and goes a long way.

chrisc

Executive Member
They eat OP's food. I think there is some creative arithmetic here. It is so easy to compute your monthly expenses. The bank will send you an itemised statement and all you have to add is what you paid cash for, plus any monthly accounts

Icarium

Expert Member
huh? Where do you buy your precooked meals. A solid WW precooked meal is like 60 bucks and then you'll still be hungry.

I buy 3 or 4 of the Woolies meals a week, they're mostly between R40 and R50 on average and they do the job for me. The rest of my weekely meals are either at the GF's place or at the parents.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
hmmm....I look a bit closer at the WW meals. Might come in handy for emergencies.

Good price on rice @ Spar atm.