How much does it cost to attend universities in South Africa?

Bresder

How much does a total of 3-4 years of university cost in South Africa?

Which schools are worthy of attending?

What degree are or might be worthy to have?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
You are asking a blind man to tell how long is a piece of string.

Up to R500K a year.

Study to be a doctor.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
My eldest is at NWU doing her Bcom in Education.

Uni fees depend on bursary, subsidy. To be honest no idea how much her uni fees are as my ex arranged that.

I pay her rent which is R3K pm. You need to factor in living expenses, entertainment, transport, etc.

But from my experience and at the advise of my peers, study what you love.

SAguy

Expert Member
My part time honours is about R80k over 2 years at UCT.

Colin62

Executive Member
It’s around 40k for tuition fees, and a bit more for res. Actual costs are easily found on each university’s website. Add in spending money (toiletries, clothing, entertainment, transport costs, all the usual crap) and you’re comfortably over R100k a year. More if they’re in digs and not res. Also allow a bit more for transport to home and back on the holidays.

You won’t see any change from ten grand a month.

Bresder

It’s around 40k for tuition fees, and a bit more for res. Actual costs are easily found on each university’s website. Add in spending money (toiletries, clothing, entertainment, transport costs, all the usual crap) and you’re comfortably over R100k a year. More if they’re in digs and not res. Also allow a bit more for transport to home and back on the holidays.

You won’t see any change from ten grand a month.
University is expensive, damn it.

Last edited:

Bresder

We’re talking university, not school. School costs even more if you go private.
I've realized that private colleges here in South Africa are way more expensive than the regular universities.

SAguy

Expert Member
And university undergrad these days is worth about as much as a matric certificate was 15 years ago...
It's expected that you have it, but it doesn't guarantee you a job at all.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
And university undergrad these days is worth about as much as a matric certificate was 15 years ago...
It's expected that you have it, but it doesn't guarantee you a job at all.
There was a time when Standard 8 was enough to get someone an "office job".

SAguy

Expert Member
People have access to higher education. Person with Standard 8 (I'm using the language used then. Or was it Form III?) is now competing with a BCom/BA.
A friend of mine had a BCom Honours, I managed to get her an admin job putting together spreadsheets. She's worked her way up by now, but it's tough out there man.

I think developers have it easier though, we can have experience without ever having had a job... showing home projects and other code contributions.

Bresder

So it's tougher without a BCom or Degree as you say? Unless it's skills or networking.
A friend of mine had a BCom Honours, I managed to get her an admin job putting together spreadsheets. She's worked her way up by now, but it's tough out there man.

I think developers have it easier though, we can have experience without ever having had a job... showing home projects and other code contributions.

SAguy

Expert Member
So it's tougher without a BCom or Degree as you say? Unless it's skills or networking.
I'd say it is.. not that it's going to guarantee you anything.. but just look at the jobs online, 90% of the probably ask for a degree..

Sadly HR people, ie.. the paperwork idiots of most companies, drop your name off the pile if you don't meet educational requirements.