How much drivers tip petrol attendants in South Africa

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I've often checked my own tyre pressures and I never let them check my oil or water. I don't trust them or their equipment (carry my own tyre pressure gauge because on several occasions I've ended up with over or under inflated tyres). I also often tell them to leave my windows dirty. I'm not a lazy ass but why tip? They get paid a salary to do their jobs. I'd actually be pleased if we got rid of petrol attendants altogether so we can do it all ourselves. Why should we be paying a premium for something we can do ourselves like overseas?

Their payis very little. Is say 4k and less per month on average.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
They are very nice and helpful guys, no questions asked when you ask them to push start your car after you stayed in your car for too long with the lights on.

I don't have a hard and fast rule on how much and how frequent but I do tip a lot. I once realised I forgot my cards at home, guy just made a note of my license and sent on my way with just my word that I will be back.

You do find a couple of the morose looking type but generally they are great guys, I don't give my money to dog charities or churches so I really don't mind giving it to them.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Here we go. You said:

You're incorrect. Part of their responsibilities include offering to clean your windows, check your oil, and/or your tyre.
Can you confirm that ? Even from non paying customers that just drop by and not filling up ? ( Petrol that is, diesel is another story ).

deesef

Expert Member
The petrol jockey is just another tax, because the government has no incentive (or intelligence) to grow the economy.

I don't tip someone who is already getting paid for an unnecessary job. After all, there are many instances of people who actually work:
How many of the tippers here would tip a SARS employee for capturing your tax return, or for performing an audit on your return?
What about tipping the poor lady at the post office (if it has not yet closed down), for fetching your parcel from the back store?

cpu.

Executive Member
Can you confirm that ? Even from non paying customers that just drop by and not filling up ? ( Petrol that is, diesel is another story ).
I see you work on a cherry farm. How much per kg?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The petrol jockey is just another tax, because the government has no incentive (or intelligence) to grow the economy.

I don't tip someone who is already getting paid for an unnecessary job. After all, there are many instances of people who actually work:
How many of the tippers here would tip a SARS employee for capturing your tax return, or for performing an audit on your return?
What about tipping the poor lady at the post office (if it has not yet closed down), for fetching your parcel from the back store?
There is no government that is forcing you to tip them, you can now stop with the drama.

azbob

Honorary Master
I specifically watch how he/she washes my front windscreen, I found few can do it carefully and prperly, I I usually tip those. Also if I don't put in fuel but just air, and I see the person is tired and must just do this, I tip him/her.

If I spot carelessness, no tip.

Fill your own air if that’s all you’re there for. Otherwise tip.

zulucat

Expert Member
I've often checked my own tyre pressures and I never let them check my oil or water. I don't trust them or their equipment (carry my own tyre pressure gauge because on several occasions I've ended up with over or under inflated tyres). I also often tell them to leave my windows dirty. I'm not a lazy ass but why tip? They get paid a salary to do their jobs. I'd actually be pleased if we got rid of petrol attendants altogether so we can do it all ourselves. Why should we be paying a premium for something we can do ourselves like overseas?
You sound like a really nice guy... I bet a lot of people love you

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I’m cashless anyway so there is nothing to tip them with.

But I haven’t done so in years.

They get decent salaries for a service that is literally unnecessary so definitely no need to tip them as well.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I’m cashless anyway so there is nothing to tip them with.

But I haven’t done so in years.

They get decent salaries for a service that is literally unnecessary so definitely no need to tip them as well.

How much do they get?

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
I can see a lot of comments questioning their existence but it's better that we have them there (they do make our lives easier) and so do most carguards rather than go down bad paths. They are at least taking initiative to earn a living. I only tip carguards when they take the trolley away because I just remember that my grandfather was once a butler and relied on tips as well.

JuliusSeizure

Expert Member
In excess of 8k a month on average.

Source? That's more than what I earned when I started working and with a degree.

I don't doubt that this figure may ring true for a select few service stations but I don't think most are exactly good employers and would pay that kind of wages.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Source? That's more than what I earned when I started working and with a degree.

I don't doubt that this figure may ring true for a select few service stations but I don't think most are exactly good employers and would pay that kind of wages.

People in the industry I’ve chatted to over time.

But here’s some stats from the Department of Energy that further supports at least a R5250 minimum pay which is already 30% more than your average statement and it’s old data.

You probably started 20+ years ago which was a different world.