How Much is 3GB?

RVFmal

Expert Member
In one of the previous threads one of the members amde a statment saying that bandwidth can be measured in kilobits, kilobytes, megabits, megabytes etc.

What I would like to know is, is the 3gig cap 3 gigabits or 3 gigabytes and whichever it is, how many megabytes that is.

slimothy

Banned
its gigabytes as in 1024 megabytes as in 1048576 kilobytes

so if you chose the 3GB package then you get 3 Gigabytes which is equal to 3072 MegaBytes which is equal to 3145728 KiloBytes which is qual to 3221225472 Bytes which is equal to 25769803776 Bits.

You measure speed per second in bits (the amount your data pipe can hold and deliver in one second), and you measure amounts downloaded in bytes

Last edited:

qDot

Expert Member
slimothy said:
its gigabytes as in 1024 megabytes as in 1048576 kilobytes

so if you chose the 3GB package then you get 3 Gigabytes which is equal to 3072 MegaBytes which is equal to 3145728 KiloBytes which is qual to 3221225472 Bytes which is equal to 25769803776 Bits.

You measure speed per second in bits (the amount your data pipe can hold and deliver in one second), and you measure amounts downloaded in bytes

whats the proper notation for Kilobits per second is it

kbps
kb/s
KB/s ?

and whats the proper notation for Kilobits per second ?

I always thought kilibits per second is both kbps and kb/s while Kilobyte per second --> KB/s :confused:

gigtech

A 3GB cap is too little (only averaging on 100MB per day).
We need at least a 30GB cap or no cap at all (even just having local uncapped, would also be cool)

stoke

Honorary Master
It's logical, bits is Kb/s, bytes is KB/s.
Bytes are bigger than bits so it gets the uppercase.

Now - Find a modem box, have a look - 56KB/s. LOL.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
qDot said:
whats the proper notation for Kilobits per second is it

kbps
kb/s
KB/s ?

and whats the proper notation for Kilobits per second ?

I always thought kilibits per second is both kbps and kb/s while Kilobyte per second --> KB/s :confused:
Kilo bits per second, various equivalent notations:
  • kbps (as Stepper has pointed out, the SI point of view is a small 'k')
  • kbits/s (my preference as it avoids confusion over what the author's use of 'b' or 'B' was supposed to mean, i.e. bits or Bytes)
  • kbitsps (a bit ugly that - IMO)
Kilo bytes per second == kbits/s divided by 8 (8 bits in a byte):
  • Similar to previous list, except that kBps means kilo Bytes per second, again I prefer kBytes/s to avoid confusion ;)

Last edited:

Harley79

jjtoymachine , you an idiot. Next time you ask a question I hope you get this reply. For him/her, was a valid question, for you, obvious, but thats just because you so damn clever!

stepper

Expert Member
ic said:
...(although from an SI point of view capital K is correct, as in Km or kilometers)
Actually no! small k is the accepted SI prefix, a big K would mean Kelvins.

ic

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
stepper said:
Actually no! small k is the accepted SI prefix, a big K would mean Kelvins.
Ok, thanks for letting me know, time to go hunt down Mr Frankenstein & tell him he should've taught me better, either that or SI recommendations have changed since my school days :D.

At any rate, I will try getting out of the big K habit from now on ;).

slimothy

Banned
I'm glad we dont live in a place where we talk about temrature in terms of Kelvins

but yeah big B for Bytes and small b for bits