How much is SA Customs going to charge me?

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Hi all,

I need to import some intake manifolds for my bike, I'm busy weighing up the options on where to ship from, but I can't find a clearly what South African customs department will charge me over and above, does anybody have experience with this?

Drifter

Honorary Master
I have imported many, I mean many car parts. It is always a lucky draw, from 5% - 35%. It all depends on the customs official on duty on the day.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I have imported many, I mean many car parts. It is always a lucky draw, from 5% - 35%. It all depends on the customs official on duty on the day.
So you saying you imported against the same tariff code and they charged you a different duty every time ?

Or you saying (you don’t know what a tariff code is and) a different one was used every time so you got charged accordingly ?

Wasabee!

Expert Member
From what I've read on cellphones, it can vary for the same cellphone. Like R200 or R2000, so it's a lucky packet as said.

Swa

Honorary Master
Depends on the tariff code used. If you're charged more you can have it reviewed through an agent.

Drifter

Honorary Master
So you saying you imported against the same tariff code and they charged you a different duty every time ?

Or you saying (you don’t know what a tariff code is and) a different one was used every time so you got charged accordingly ?
Let me give you an example. A friend and myself imported the exact same part. His arrived a day before mine. He paid R32 in duties, I paid R780. Makes sense, nê?

EADC

Expert Member
Or I didnt get the lucky draw of having a customs official that is sober, nê?
If you used post office maybe.

If you used a courier company then depends on the tariff code that was used by the clearing agent.

Drifter

Honorary Master
SAPO has nothing to do with duties. A Parcel arrives at customs, duties get calculated, then only released to SAPO. On collection you need to produce ID and pay duties and VAT.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Or I didnt get the lucky draw of having a customs official that is sober, nê?
There’s no lucky draw. Every different tariff codes attracts its set duty.

Unless there was no tariff logged and the customs guy did you a favor and used any code he felt like (which attracted that duty) .

gcb

Motorbike parts are duty free, you'll just have to pay vat. Can't remember where exactly, but there is a document out there detailing all the tariff codes. The motorbike parts code should be 8714.xxx..

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Thank you for all the help guys, now I guess my other way is just hoping it actually arrives through SAPO