How much it costs to build your own “SuperSport” with streaming packages

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How much it costs to build your own “SuperSport” with streaming packages

SuperSport dominates local sports, owning the broadcasting rights to many popular competitions in the country.

To access SuperSport, South Africans must subscribe to an appropriate DStv package – each of which offers a different number of SuperSport channels. To access all SuperSport channels, you must subscribe to DStv Premium.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
From that list of sports, the only one I'd pay for is F1TV... so R56 per month... and I can guarantee that the coverage provided with that service is easily 10x as good as the shyte DSTV do for F1.

But, to get the remaining important sports (Rugby and Cricket), ESPN+ would do the job and its $5 per month. Think it might even actually have more rugby and cricket than DSTV....

Smokey888

Expert Member
Skewed, I won't pick all the sports.

Golf, Rugby and Cricket.

No price mentioned for Rugby or Cricket?

pedruid

Expert Member
They failed to mention BT Sport and you cannot compare Australian prices as they earn so much more.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Because largely the only streaming option forRugby and Cricket is EPSN+ which isn't legally available in SA, and it makes DSTV look like the ripoff it really is.
The article is a good idea but basically falls apart when they excluded Rugby and Cricket from the comparison.

They also fail to mention that most of the sports listed have seasons and so you wont watch them all year round.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
From that list of sports, the only one I'd pay for is F1TV... so R56 per month... and I can guarantee that the coverage provided with that service is easily 10x as good as the shyte DSTV do for F1.

But, to get the remaining important sports (Rugby and Cricket), ESPN+ would do the job and its $5 per month. Think it might even actually have more rugby and cricket than DSTV....
I won't be surprised if ESPN re-enter the African market with the next 5 years.