How much it costs to import a Tesla car to SA

Joseph matane

Thank you for the article but if you compare Mini Cooper SE local pricing it seems like most taxes on this article were not applied, international price without tax rebates is $29,900 or something like that while local price start around R642,000
if you assume $1 is R15 it means $29,900 = R448,500 this means added tax amount is 30% of international retail price so I don't fully agree with 90% taxes if Tesla launch locally

Last edited:

brilliantt

I love Tesla, but since our government doesn't like Tesla very much, I think I will be forced to wait for the Audi Q4 electric version - I think it's called Q4 e tron. There's simply no way I am going to fork out 3 times the rrp for Tesla. The whole philosophy behind Tesla Model 3 and X is affordability and availability. Now availability is being restricted, leading to higher import prices, which destroys affordability.

Swa

Honorary Master
I love Tesla, but since our government doesn't like Tesla very much, I think I will be forced to wait for the Audi Q4 electric version - I think it's called Q4 e tron. There's simply no way I am going to fork out 3 times the rrp for Tesla. The whole philosophy behind Tesla Model 3 and X is affordability and availability. Now availability is being restricted, leading to higher import prices, which destroys affordability.
If Elon had stayed he would have been a colonialist. But since he left he's a sellout. You just can't ever win with our "government".

epah

Expert Member
Please dont tell e they paid R3.8million for a car that costs R100k to produce.

genetic

Honorary Master
You can not expect less from a 3rd world country run by uneducated cavemen LOL always have both hands out grabbing at every cent they can get

And what's that got to do with importing a Tesla?

roskib

As long as you drive it for 467 years it'll pay for itself with the fuel savings

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
The key is to import the car and the battery separately. Also, recover some of the UK tax by organising with the UK importers.

I guess there are also saving with approvals if you buy exactly the same model as was imported, but then you don't get the latest

Also for the amount taxed, one could probably find someone who is relocating to SA and add it to their shipment as personal belongs (just ensure the invoice is a 4 months old at the time)

Swa

Honorary Master
Isn't vat added AFTER the duties?
No before, at 16.5% on the imported cost. Also every import I've done have had taxes and duties added on to the declared value and not on to each other. Though Sars can only be said to pluck those figures from their arses.

Not if Eskom is going to produce the electricity to change the batteries.
If Eskom is involved it would definitely "change" the batteries.

The key is to import the car and the battery separately. Also, recover some of the UK tax by organising with the UK importers.

I guess there are also saving with approvals if you buy exactly the same model as was imported, but then you don't get the latest

Also for the amount taxed, one could probably find someone who is relocating to SA and add it to their shipment as personal belongs (just ensure the invoice is a 4 months old at the time)
They did that with TVs and their tuners. That loophole was quickly closed.

rvZA

Executive Member
I am convinced they will not sell a lot of these cars in South Africa. Neither is this a car to go on holiday with or drive long distances in South Africa. Our country will unfortunately never be ready for this technology, not even in a million years from now.