How much it costs to send a WhatsApp message in South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Real costs to send a WhatsApp message in South Africa

Sending a WhatsApp text message costs tiny fractions of a cent, while a voice call through the platform can cost you anywhere between 1c and 4c per minute depending on the network and whether data saver mode is enabled, a MyBroadband analysis showed.

Due to its plethora of useful communication features in one place, WhatsApp has become the go-to messaging app for many South Africans.

wroemwroem

This is quite cool, thanks for the math! I knew it was fractions, just didn't know how many fractions.

The cool thing is you can extrapolate the data to however many messages / minutes you want (given some percentage error), and compare the cost of different operators, whether landline, mobile, voip or otherwise.

Also interesting tidbit, AFAIK SMS messages are free for cellular providers (as in the service doesn't cost them anything), since SMS messages piggy-back off of GSM packets. Which is also why there's a character limit on a single SMS message. More info on Wikipedia, I might be getting some details wrong.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Which is why IRC is still great - no voice notes, photos, videos, adverts, etc - clean ultra lightweight text. Must be why IRC is still in use today ;-)

Ummm yeah, no.

IRC had its place, and in a very niche place still does, but its not a competitor to a tool like WhatsApp at all.

deesef

Expert Member
Two things are often overlooked in this article that appears oh so often:

1. The calculated cost should always be doubled, because both the sender and the receiver use the same amount of data.

2. Incremental cost is zero for people on unlimited packages.

saor

Honorary Master
The only downside to using the app is that it consumes data, which comes at a price.
Strange sentence. Yes, obviously it uses data, but it's hardly a downside considering how much it uses. It's just a fact of nature more than anything.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Ah man IRC, lots of blind dates from that.
20 years ago yes, not me though, I was in an 11 year long relationship back then in my 20s so no fooling around like my buddies did. But wow I loved those everyday conversations with internet friends and once a year or whatever meeting up with everyone. Kinda like this place here on the forum :thumbsup:

Lupus

Honorary Master
20 years ago yes, not me though, I was in an 11 year long relationship back then in my 20s so no fooling around like my buddies did. But wow I loved those everyday conversations with internet friends and once a year or whatever meeting up with everyone. Kinda like this place here on the forum
Nah my early 20s I was free :).

ubercal

Expert Member
Which is why IRC is still great - no voice notes, photos, videos, adverts, etc - clean ultra lightweight text. Must be why IRC is still in use today ;-)
but i used to download many videos over irc back in the day