How much it costs to send your child to private school and university in SA

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Quoted from the article:

"Sending your child to private school from grade R to grade 12 in South Africa will cost you around R3.7 million, according to the City Press.

The newspaper calculated the figure based on a child who starts school in 2016 and leaves matric in 2028.

Stationery, uniform, and boarding costs were included in the figure, with the annual schools fees based on the rates of a private school in Johannesburg
."

What a skewed and absolute BS "info" piece!! This private school cost used is the absolute "worst case scenario" cost. A private school like Curro will cost a fraction of that.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
R676,306 for model C school also sounds very high. My eldest is going to grade 5, her school fee for the year is R7500. Times 12, that's under a R100k. Take into account yearly increase, I'd say roughly about R200k max. Add hostel fees and I still don't see I'll be halfway to their totals. Of course, I know the inland schools is much more expensive than what we're used to along the coast.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
R676,306 for model C school also sounds very high. My eldest is going to grade 5, her school fee for the year is R7500. Times 12, that's under a R100k. Take into account yearly increase, I'd say roughly about R200k max. Add hostel fees and I still don't see I'll be halfway to their totals. Of course, I know the inland schools is much more expensive than what we're used to along the coast.

Upper-income former Model C school

Pretty sure its places like Hoërskool Waterkloof.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Pretty sure its places like Hoërskool Waterkloof.

Mmmm, just noticed that. Is there different kinds of model C-schools, like a lower-income and middle-income Model C school. Mine would probably be the lower-Middle-income Model C-School.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
These figures are based on your child starting now and finishing Matric in 2028 !!!

Sodan

Expert Member
Quoted from the article:

"Sending your child to private school from grade R to grade 12 in South Africa will cost you around R3.7 million, according to the City Press.

The newspaper calculated the figure based on a child who starts school in 2016 and leaves matric in 2028.

Stationery, uniform, and boarding costs were included in the figure, with the annual schools fees based on the rates of a private school in Johannesburg
."

What a skewed and absolute BS "info" piece!! This private school cost used is the absolute "worst case scenario" cost. A private school like Curro will cost a fraction of that.

Yeah, strange how the author chose "around" instead of "up to". It costs me R11.5k for 2 kids at private school for this year. But that's tuition only. Now I'm not going to add in the extras for books and other stationary, or food and accommodation, because you'll have to pay that no matter what school you're sending your kids to. (Also, I'm going to assume a R0 public school fee, so that this is really "how much more would it cost to send a kid to private school" figure).

Now, taking a 10% escalation per annum for the 12 years, the figure comes to R246k. So that's R123k more per kid. I wonder which schools were used to obtain the "Average fee-paying school" value of R253k for 1 child.

Anyway, it's quite clear the article can be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

Last edited:

rsfriend

Those fees are incredibly good. Which private school are you using if I may ask?

When looking at schools for my daughter starting Gr1 this year, Curro - probably 1 of the more affordable "private" schools - were roughly R4k per month (billed for all 12 months). Even a decent government primary school was around R10k for the year for a single student.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Yeah, strange how the author chose "around" instead of "up to". It costs me R11.5 for 2 kids at private school for this year. But that's tuition only. Now I'm not going to add in the extras for books and other stationary, or food and accommodation, because you'll have to pay that no matter what school you're sending your kids to. (Also, I'm going to assume a R0 public school fee, so that this is really "how much more would it cost to send a kid to private school" figure).

Now, taking a 10% escalation per annum for the 12 years, the figure comes to R246k. So that's R123k more per kid. I wonder which schools were used to obtain the "Average fee-paying school" value of R253k for 1 child.

Anyway, it's quite clear the article can be taken with a healthy pinch of salt.

You highlighted R3.7million then you said it cost you R11.5, is that Million or thousand?

Sodan

Expert Member
Those fees are incredibly good. Which private school are you using if I may ask?

It's a small (quite new) private school in Mitchell's Plain called Swallows Academy. They have a strong focus on Math and English (reading is heavily promoted - in fact, last year they even had a handful of grade 2s reading at grade 4 level!).

They have no online presence - there is no pomp and no marketing (literally only word-of-mouth marketing), but damn, they produce some excellent results!

You highlighted R3.7million then you said it cost you R11.5, is that Million or thousand?

Sorry, typo, I missed the k. It's thousands.

To be fair, I'm strongly in favour of the fees being (significantly) increased at this school. I know the teachers are not being paid very well, though I do know the kids are receiving an excellent education when compared to public school - the returning kids (i.e. those who were at this school last year) are way ahead of the new kids (i.e. those joining from other schools); it's very much a chalk and cheese situation. The point, though, is that the teachers are doing an excellent job, and should thus be receiving excellent remuneration.