How much it costs to stream Disney+ and HBO Max with a VPN in South Africa

mylesillidge

Journalist
Disney+ and HBO Max streaming in South Africa — how much it costs

The availability of international streaming services in South Africa has grown considerably over recent years, but the country still lacks several major ones.

South Africans can access services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, but those who wish to watch releases from platforms like HBO Max and Disney+ will have to use a virtual private network (VPN).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Disney+ and HBO Max streaming in South Africa — how much it costs

The availability of international streaming services in South Africa has grown considerably over recent years, but the country still lacks several major ones.

South Africans can access services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, but those who wish to watch releases from platforms like HBO Max and Disney+ will have to use a virtual private network (VPN).
Why does it always have to be a VPN with you guys? A smart dns service is more flexible, costs less (less than $6/pm excluding any discounts*), and usually comes with a VPN included.

And how come there's no mention of the Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle?

*Edit: with discounts mine comes to $1.50 per month.​

Last edited:

Raphael123

Expert Member
Why does it always have to be a VPN with you guys? A smart dns service is more flexible, costs less (less than $6/pm excluding any discounts*), and usually comes with a VPN included.

Whats a good smart DNS service to use?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
in combination with SurfShark’s VPN subscription (R192/$12.95).
Madness. Windscribe's à la carte build a plan is just $1 for the US and $1 (R30 total) for unlimited data and ROBERT adblock.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Whats a good smart DNS service to use?
There are two that I know of - Getflix and SmartDNSProxy - they're basically identical (because they're the same company) and they both get the job done.

Keep in mind however that [almost?] everyone is having problems with accessing US netflix at the moment.

Murmaider

There are two that I know of - Getflix and SmartDNSProxy - they're basically identical (because they're the same company) and they both get the job done.

Keep in mind however that [almost?] everyone is having problems with accessing US netflix at the moment.

Are you able to access Hulu content?

Bernie

Expert Member
I think DNS option is better as well. Don't these streaming services also actively block VPN which I gather is quite easy to determine if you using a VPN or not.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think DNS option is better as well. Don't these streaming services also actively block VPN which I gather is quite easy to determine if you using a VPN or not.
Biggest advantage for me is after setting it up on the router we can simultaneously watch different services from different regions. So I can watch BBC while the missus is watching Hulu and the kids Disney, or whatever.

Greglsh

Which one are you using bwana, Getflix or SmartDNSProxy?

P.S. How did you get it down to $1.50 per month?

Last edited:

Anjeev

Using Smart DNS Proxy. Currently steraming Netflix, Disney and Hulu. Swap between the US version of Netflix and local. Also watch 10play which is free from Australia, BBC iplayer and a few other free services. 10Play has MasterChef, Survivor, Amazing race etc and its the latest ones. At least a year ahead of DSTV and free. Only sport is an issue. But I don't watch SABC or DSTV and don't think I will ever go back to DSTV.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
And bbc iplayer and HBO max.

Can’t comment on hbo but all the uk channels work.

Using Smart DNS Proxy. Currently steraming Netflix, Disney and Hulu. Swap between the US version of Netflix and local. Also watch 10play which is free from Australia, BBC iplayer and a few other free services. 10Play has MasterChef, Survivor, Amazing race etc and its the latest ones. At least a year ahead of DSTV and free. Only sport is an issue. But I don't watch SABC or DSTV and don't think I will ever go back to DSTV.
Unfortunately, you're not. US netflix hasn't been available for a while now. You'll get a far greater selection on the local than you will with what you think is the US version, but what is in reality the international version.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yeah no netflix is a hit or miss with all these services currently.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Which one are you using bwana, Getflix or SmartDNSProxy?

P.S. How did you get it down to $1.50 per month?
Sorry - only saw this now. I've used both but am currently using the latter.

They usually offer a Black Friday special - that's how I got my discount.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Smart DNS services normally require a public facing IP to work, networks like rain and many fibre networks uses CGNAT.