How much IT professionals pay for rent in South Africa

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I always struggle to fathom these things.

I can literally buy a house for that same money in the Western Cape so how on earth (or maybe rather why) are people paying this kind of cash just to rent?

OCP

Expert Member
Do all these IT professionals have the same housing requirements?

What about those who only need/want a single bedroom flat vs those with 4 kids and 5 dogs?

We get that rent/property is more expensive depending on the area!

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
R4675 for the last 4 years now (cheaper before that). Including W&L, garden services and refuge removal for a 3 room house that has a laundry, a study and 2 lounges as well as other entertainment spaces (and a garage)

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Looking at the JHB one, I think the stat is a bit skewed. Sure the % of salary for renting is lower but factor in your travel in both time and kilometers and I bet you it comes up more expensive. Unless you telecomute.

OCP

Expert Member
Looking at the JHB one, I think the stat is a bit skewed. Sure the % of salary for renting is lower but factor in your travel in both time and kilometers and I bet you it comes up more expensive. Unless you telecomute.
Exactly!

joker08

Do all these IT professionals have the same housing requirements?

What about those who only need/want a single bedroom flat vs those with 4 kids and 5 dogs?

We get that rent/property is more expensive depending on the area!
I don't know about SA nationals, we have to stay in the recommended "safe areas" where rent is high.
Take rylands in cape town a separate entrance one bedroom with one car parking is costing around 7500 excluding water and electricity
2 bedroom flat in Century city is around 13000, Sea point or green point is also the same

OCP

Expert Member
I don't know about SA nationals, we have to stay in the recommended "safe areas" where rent is high.
Take rylands in cape town a separate entrance one bedroom with one car parking is costing around 7500 excluding water and electricity
You can get cheaper - R6000k for a double room with ensuite + garage parking including water/electricity/fibre in one of the leafy southern suburbs.

joker08

R4675 for the last 4 years now (cheaper before that). Including W&L, garden services and refuge removal for a 3 room house that has a laundry, a study and 2 lounges as well as other entertainment spaces (and a garage)
Where is this ? Is there another house available for rent for me ?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I always struggle to fathom these things.

I can literally buy a house for that same money in the Western Cape so how on earth (or maybe rather why) are people paying this kind of cash just to rent?
Take this from somebody that rented for the last 10+ years and only buying now for the first time.

In IT, specifically development, therebare a ton of opportunities and the last thing you want is to be tied down and unable to make a major career move because of a house.

In JHB rent is way cheaper than cost of ownership. Depending on where and what you rent, after levies, taxes and maintenance you could easily pay 50-80% more pm than if you were to rent the same place. Nevermind transfer costs and duties and bond registration costs.

Most won't, but investing that difference will probably see you come out better than the buyer.

After 30, marriage and the idea children becoming a reality the case for buying becomes a lot stronger. And if I'm dead honest, I'm not sure buying was the best move financially but I did it and hopefully when I sell in a couple of years it would've appreciatefd enough to have made any financial sense.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Been living here since 2004. Was R1500 back then....
That kind of explains it though.

I think these articles rather apply to entering this market right here and now.

Longterm contracts from days gone by will always win out.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Take this from somebody that rented for the last 10+ years and only buying now for the first time.

In IT, specifically development, therebare a ton of opportunities and the last thing you want is to be tied down and unable to make a major career move because of a house.

In JHB rent is way cheaper than cost of ownership. Depending on where and what you rent, after levies, taxes and maintenance you could easily pay 50-80% more pm than if you were to rent the same place. Nevermind transfer costs and duties and bond registration costs.

Most won't, but investing that difference will probably see you come out better than the buyer.

After 30, marriage and the idea children becoming a reality the case for buying becomes a lot stronger. And if I'm dead honest, I'm not sure buying was the best move financially but I did it and hopefully when I sell in a couple of years it would've appreciatefd enough to have made any financial sense.
There is anecdotal evidence that will lead it either way.

But sure if you NEED to move around and you are single then there is nothing around it, but I don't think this is quite the norm and rather the anomaly?

Personally having made almost a 100% profit (okay transfer on new house ignored) on my first house in hardly 6 years I'll beg to differ with that investing the difference would have been better for it since my neighbors next door were paying almost the exact same in rent for the same place that I was paying in my bond.

Ultimately it's all going to be a very circumstantial.

The only time rent kind of makes sense to me is when the cost justifies the saving in transport and time because you live a 5 minute walk from your office.

Daruk

Honorary Master
“It is interesting to note that Johannesburg comes up as one of the most affordable cities for renting employees,” said Adzuna SA country manager Jesse Green.

That's cos yall gautengalengers spend the rest of your salary on commuting to and from the office. :whistling:

krycor

Honorary Master
Depends heavily on standard of living, factoring in security and area (m2). Jhb allows a lot of variance in this respect, Cpt not and salary + job mobility is a problem.

3Gee

Expert Member
Another case of poor journalism. Know where in the article is anything about the rented property mentioned

Size , number of bedrooms.....

Hamster

Resident Rodent
“It is interesting to note that Johannesburg comes up as one of the most affordable cities for renting employees,” said Adzuna SA country manager Jesse Green.
It is? JHB and PE has had the best income vs living cost ratio for years...maybe even decades.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Another case of poor journalism. Know where in the article is anything about the rented property mentioned
Thankfully you're not a journo :whistling:

1549293415571.png
Know the difference

WAslayer

Expert Member
There is anecdotal evidence that will lead it either way.

But sure if you NEED to move around and you are single then there is nothing around it, but I don't think this is quite the norm and rather the anomaly?

Personally having made almost a 100% profit (okay transfer on new house ignored) on my first house in hardly 6 years I'll beg to differ with that investing the difference would have been better for it since my neighbors next door were paying almost the exact same in rent for the same place that I was paying in my bond.

Ultimately it's all going to be a very circumstantial.

The only time rent kind of makes sense to me is when the cost justifies the saving in transport and time because you live a 5 minute walk from your office.
Must agree.. bought 3 years ago and if I sell now, I am at about a 50% profit.. If I were renting, would have been paying more than my bond.. At the same time, it's a flat, so if you include the levy, it evens out..

I am considering buying a house now and the profit from the sale should cover transfer and bond costs and I might have a little left to put into the new bond..