How much IT professionals pay for rent in South Africa

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I think the Cape Town guys need to realise that they are in a world of their own. Property is/was very profitable in Cape Town especially the last couple of years.

Gauteng and the rest of the country - not so much. If the rest of us (well, me at least) lived in CPT we'd buy first chance we get.

OCP

Expert Member
I think the Cape Town guys need to realise that they are in a world of their own. Property is/was very profitable in Cape Town especially the last couple of years.

Gauteng and the rest of the country - not so much. If the rest of us (well, me at least) lived in CPT we'd buy first chance we get.
Very true

I have made good profits on property - by upsizing as we needed more space I have a much bigger property my brother in law could possibly afford if he came from JHB to CT.

And the sad thing is that years ago he used to earn a lot more than me!

moklet

Expert Member
Maybe I am missing the point, but what has rent to do with your profession ? Rent has more to do what market related rentals are for a certain area and property. They are not going to ask me more or less because I have a certain occupation. Often there will be 2 persons responsible for the rent. They might be in the same occupation or not.

Other factors are what amount of money are you prepared to spent on accommodation, some people want to keep up a certain image others don't care

Dolby

Honorary Master
Personally having made almost a 100% profit (okay transfer on new house ignored) on my first house in hardly 6 years I'll beg to differ with that investing the difference would have been better
Cape Town?

I don't think the JHB guys have seen those figures for years. Housing here has plateaued and I'm probably on 30% in 7 or 8 years. You may see you neighbour selling his property at R2m because that's what he think it's worth - but in the end it'll sit there for 8 months and he'll probably let it go (let it go!) at R1.7m

Daruk

Honorary Master
Maybe I am missing the point, but what has rent to do with your profession ? Rent has more to do what market related rentals are for a certain area and property. They are not going to ask me more or less because I have a certain occupation. Often there will be 2 persons responsible for the rent. They might be in the same occupation or not.

Other factors are what amount of money are you prepared to spent on accommodation, some people want to keep up a certain image others don't care
I think they were just contextualizing it as a ratio of income to rent expense for the general IT population.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Cape Town?

I don't think the JHB guys have seen those figures for years. Housing here has plateaued and I'm probably on 30% in 7 or 8 years. You may see you neighbour selling his property at R2m because that's what he think it's worth - but in the end it'll sit there for 8 months and he'll probably let it go (let it go!) at R1.7m
Yeah Cape Town.

Even 30% isn’t bad going.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Sure but then the whole argument here was that Cape Town is so super expensive to rent and buy.

So by that logic everyone in Jo’burg should be buying and nobody should be renting.

It plays both ways.

Even now at the flattening side of the property market it still makes more sense to buy if you can.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The thing about buying vs renting is that your bond repayment remains more or less static over the years give or take a few interest rate hikes or decreases. Rentals on the other hand just go up and up, barring a few dips in the market like we're currently experiencing in Cape Town. 20 years from now your bond repayment is still going to be more or less the same, if not less if you pay extra every month into an access bond. What do you think your rent will be in 20 years?

Last edited: