How much money do you earn? And how do you spend it?

Messugga

Honorary Master
Same here. I'm comfortable and earn way above average for my area, but seems like I'm very low on the ladder compared to some of theses stats.
There are always people who are what some might call over payed. It comes with its own set of problems to deal with, in terms of career advancement and such.

Software Developer, 25, degree in software engineering and 5 years experience.

R42 400pm before deductions, R27 600pm after. R0 left at the end of the month after paying rent, car, insurance, food, fuel, cell, internet etc.

Looking at some of the guys here, I still feel I should be earning a bit more.
You should be earning around R50k for sure.

hj007

Software Developer, 25, degree in software engineering and 5 years experience.

R42 400pm before deductions, R27 600pm after. R0 left at the end of the month after paying rent, car, insurance, food, fuel, cell, internet etc.

Looking at some of the guys here, I still feel I should be earning a bit more.
Are you single, or supporting any others with your salary? Surprised you'd end on 0 if single or one of two earners in a household.

archimedes

In mid 30s, studied actuarial science but moved into an executive management role in financial services.. On about 200k a month excl all other rem .. Little bit over 100k net of pension contributions and taxes..
About 45% into property and other investments
Running expenses about 25%.. 10% discretionary.. 10% charity.. 10% parental support..

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
There are always people who are what some might call over payed. It comes with its own set of problems to deal with, in terms of career advancement and such.
You also get people that actually work, and those that play the game to climb the ladder without having to do their actual job.

Pho3nix

The Legend
In mid 30s, studied actuarial science but moved into an executive management role in financial services.. On about 200k a month excl all other rem .. Little bit over 100k net of pension contributions and taxes..
Running expenses about 25%.. 10% discretionary.. 10% charity.. 10% parental support..
**** me

archimedes

Very true, decisions you make impact the livelihoods of hundreds of people, their job security, remuneration and there is no such thing as downtime... And then there are the executives, boards, all with its own stresses

hj007

Was similar to this, but I stopped last year as wanted more time affluence rather than financial affluence. Do you still need/enjoy this work, or any plans to move away from financial services?

archimedes

Was similar to this, but I stopped last year as wanted more time affluence rather than financial affluence. Do you still need/enjoy this work, or any plans to move away from financial services?
Took the role to turnaround the business which is reward enough. Earned enough in previous role which was technical. Plan is to move into something completely different in the next few years (out of corporate) and out of financial services..
What are you doing now?

hj007

Took the role to turnaround the business which is reward enough. Earned enough in previous role which was technical. Plan is to move into something completely different in the next few years (out of corporate) and out of financial services..
What are you doing now?
For the past few months been spending lots of time:
- with family and friends,
- hobbies that I've wanted to pursue (gaming, music, fitness, etc)
- some DIY projects I've wanted to do and am still pursuing where I wanted to get my hands dirty rather than outsource,
- managing some investments and tweaking,
- bit of travel

the plan is to retain most of my time for these things. I will look for the occasional interesting project should it be exciting or an opportunity to learn something new not on what it pays. But, I do like getting paid well so there's always that. But the plan is to remain out of corporate/employment for the foreseeable future.

Testbed

I'm 26, recently started working in CIB. I'm on around 55k CTC per month. Take home in the mid 30s. Was well below that before the transfer. I haven't been through a bonus or increase cycle just yet, so don't know how that would affect my annual CTC.

My costs are around rent and household for about 7000, insurance for 2000, food for 3000 and car payments of about 9000 (about 6k more than required so I can pay my little Ford off quickly).

I like to live simply. Until I earn enough to buy a Cayman...

Snyper564

Expert Member
I'm 26, recently started working in CIB. I'm on around 55k CTC per month. Take home in the mid 30s. Was well below that before the transfer. I haven't been through a bonus or increase cycle just yet, so don't know how that would affect my annual CTC.

My costs are around rent and household for about 7000, insurance for 2000, food for 3000 and car payments of about 9000 (about 6k more than required so I can pay my little Ford off quickly).

I like to live simply. Until I earn enough to buy a Cayman...
Careful that you dont get hit with a penalty for paying the car off early. Home loans are different in this sense. I have heard that if you pay a car off in 2 vs 5 years for example there may be a penalty.

Testbed

Careful that you dont get hit with a penalty for paying the car off early. Home loans are different in this sense. I have heard that if you pay a car off in 2 vs 5 years for example there may be a penalty.
I financed my car for under 250k, which I think is the limit for those sort of penalties. But I'll be sure to check that with the bank.