How much money do you earn? And how do you spend it?

sashinbetween

Quite interesting to see other individuals living style.
Personally, over 5k but under 10k
Still under parental so much is taken care off, no rent but small contributions towards parents medical aid and a utility bill so around 1k for that
1.5k for medical and other policies
Entertainment around 1k
1k for other bills, a clothing account, banks fees
1k for toiletries and groceries
The balance is split between savings and other amenities I can't really remember right now. It's a bit of a struggle some days. I personally use a budget app to keep track. Find some cools ones here if anyone is looking

Snyper564

Executive Member
Quite interesting to see other individuals living style.
Personally, over 5k but under 10k
Still under parental so much is taken care off, no rent but small contributions towards parents medical aid and a utility bill so around 1k for that
1.5k for medical and other policies
Entertainment around 1k
1k for toiletries and groceries
The balance is split between savings and other amenities I can't really remember right now. It's a bit of a struggle some days. I personally use a budget app to keep track. Find some cools ones here if anyone is looking

It will serve you well to kill all debt and not have clothing accounts.

In short if you cant pay cash you cant afford it.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

The other argument that I see people use is that they need to build a credit history to buy stuff.

Reactions: Fro

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Ok while this thread is alive again.

I am a maintenance electrician with last years CTC being R720k. This included about 300 hours of overtime over an 8 week period and an anual company bonus

Wife sits at about 160k CTC as a teacher which I really believe not to be fair but she lloves teaching. Schools in the area are not very well off money wise.

Im wanting to move into a maintenance planner position asI have a good SAP Pm background. Any idea on the ctc for these positions ?

themba990

Expert Member
I’ve started watching Dave Ramsey after someone suggested his videos in a certain other thread about personal finances.
He shouts a lot but he made me realize walking around broke all the time is not the only option.
So I’m on debt reduction mission starting today. I have 400k odd in short term debt, mostly car, but a journey of a 1000 steps...

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I’ve started watching Dave Ramsey after someone suggested his videos in a certain other thread about personal finances.
He shouts a lot but he made me realize walking around broke all the time is not the only option.
So I’m on debt reduction mission starting today. I have 400k odd in short term debt, mostly car, but a journey of a 1000 steps...
I'm also on a debt reduction mission. Car and credit card first then push as much as possible into my bond.

Taking some austerity steps to get there.

Reactions: air

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I'm also on a debt reduction mission. Car and credit card first then push as much as possible into my bond.

Taking some austerity steps to get there.

Same here. One car just paid up. Aiming for the cc next which shouldn't take too long (fingers crossed). Then focus on the second car. Not too fussed about the bond for now

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Only debt I have is my bond but all the extras is going into fixing my fix-me-up house.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Only debt I have is my bond but all the extras is going into fixing my fix-me-up house.
I'd love to have a fix-me-up. Love watching people renovate houses on Youtube. Looks like fun if you have the cash :D

Reactions: Fro

sashinbetween

That is the plan! Killing off the clothing account and closing it. It's a mrp acc I opened up bec I didn't have any other credit at the time and worried about not being able to get a cellphone acc etc. I was a part time student at the time as well, classic case of wanting it all with very little money.

Tman*

Expert Member
Ok while this thread is alive again.

I am a maintenance electrician with last years CTC being R720k. This included about 300 hours of overtime over an 8 week period and an anual company bonus

Wife sits at about 160k CTC as a teacher which I really believe not to be fair but she lloves teaching. Schools in the area are not very well off money wise.

Im wanting to move into a maintenance planner position asI have a good SAP Pm background. Any idea on the ctc for these positions ?
yasis, R160k CTC is borderline slave labour for a teacher. I salute your wife.

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
yasis, R160k CTC is borderline slave labour for a teacher. I salute your wife.
Yup . I am always comparing the time studied ( 4 years) to engineering . Yes I agree the subjects are likely way more difficult and there are plenty of legal responsibility associated with it but they step in at say R800k for a junior ( correct me if I'm wrong here) . And then there is IT (we are all here because we like that term in some way or another right) which I believe is on par in difficulty with all the theoretical concepts and entry level psych stuff one does in teaching . I believe if you put it the efforts whilst doing your degree you can likely step into a position of about R550k pa ( please again correct me if I'm wrong in any of this again )

All of these jobs have their perks, some believe teaching to be a 7 - 2 job with plenty of leave, but having a teacher SO I can assure you it's more like a 7 - 6+ job and about half of the supposed leave is spent doing something related to teaching. Fortunately her school implemented an app only policy for communications, as before some parents would be phoning at like 8:30pm+ to discuss their hell-spawns. This app can be said to not even show the messages after a user specified time, merely auto-replying that this message will be available to the teacher at x time tomorrow or whatever user specified message ( I do standby, get paid for it, and wanted to type up the message but my wife would not let me, wonder why? )