How much money do you earn? And how do you spend it?

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Great stuff. Glad for you. Congrats. Don't stop your side jobbie, i still want to order from you.
Order soon! I don't have a lot of orders but if stock doesn't move, I'm going to have to ferment and distill the lot to keep it from going off. I don't want to store it for longer than around 4 months, not with summer coming up.

JeffMan

Been a while since my last update...

Switched jobs in March (from a smaller corporate to a bank).
Got a token raise in August (since I had been there for only a short time).

CTC is R1.5m per annum, and I get some extra benefits on reduced banking fees, and preferential interest rates on my home loans.
That's just over R126k gross.
From that, over R36k goes to PAYE.
Other deductions are around R15k (pension, compulsory life/health cover, UIF etc).

Monthly expenses:
  • R10k on a flat bond, levy and rates (recoup around R8.5k from rental income)
  • R11k on my home bond
  • R4.5k on rates, water and electricity
  • R8.5k on school fees (2 kids in nursery school)
  • R1.2k on gardener
  • R3k on wife's car (mines paid off)
  • R1.8k on petrol
  • R2.5k on short term insurance
  • R3k on life insurance, dread disease etc (this is on top of compulsory group life cover that comes from my CTC)
  • R5k on medical aid (but I cover a lot of medical expenses out of pocket)
  • R1.5k on generic medical expenses
  • R5-R6k on therapies for my older kid
  • Around R2k per month on extra murals (ballet, swimming etc)
  • R2k on telecoms (cell phones, fibre, spotify, Netflix, domain hosting)
  • R2.7k on donations to various charities
  • R1k per month on security
  • R600 on gym
  • R2k on savings
Wife also earns a variable salary each month - she usually covers our domestic worker's salary, her own life, dread disease and income protection cover.
Anything left from both our income goes to groceries, entertainment and spoiling our kids - not so good at putting money away at the moment.

EDIT: In March 2013 (found an old pay slip) I was earning R47.5k gross with a net pay of R30.7k

Employees above a certain level didn't get increases in 2020. So I'm earning the same now as I was at the time of the quoted post.
Bonuses were decent - approximately 30% of my cost to company split between immediate and retention bonuses.
Expenses have changed a little:
  • R8k on a flat bond, levy and rates (recoup around R8.5k from rental income)
  • R8k on my home bond
  • R4.5k on rates, water and electricity
  • R11k on school fees (2 kids in nursery school)
  • R1.3k on gardener
  • R1k on petrol (wife and I mainly WFH)
  • R2.5k on short term insurance
  • R3.5k on life insurance, dread disease etc (this is on top of compulsory group life cover that comes from my CTC)
  • R5.5k on medical aid (but I cover a lot of medical expenses out of pocket)
  • R1.5k on generic medical expenses
  • R2.5k on therapies for my older kid
  • Around R1k per month on extra murals (ballet, swimming etc)
  • R1.2k on telecoms (cell phones, fibre, spotify, Netflix, domain hosting)
  • R3k on donations to various charities
  • R1k per month on home security
  • R400 on gym
  • R2k on savings
  • R5k covering wife's expenses due to COVID related work slow down
Anything left from both our income goes to groceries, entertainment, unexpected expenses (like car and house maintenance) and spoiling our kids - still not enough put into savings.

r4nd0m

Education: Matric and an IT certificate. No degree.
Career: Software Development

Income (job): R75 000 gross p/m
Income (property): R21 000 nett p/m
Income (investments): R6000 - R8000 quarterly

Expenses

Medical: R4100 (parent and myself)
Petrol: R1000
Insurance: R350 (car)
Connectivity: R800
Groceries and Food: R4000
Rent: R7000 (to live closer to work)
Savings: R40 000 to R50 000 (varies per month) into RA, TFSA and offshore brokerages
Cellular: ~R100 - on prepaid and bought my handset ~2 years ago (S7)
Clothing: Buy infrequently when needed, few hundred at a time
Hobbies: I mostly game or read, so a few hundred to 1-2 thousand (steam specials)
Alcohol/Cigs: Don't do either

I'm very much a recluse, so apart from going to work and back, I manage to save a decent amount. Also helps that apart from games and books, I don't buy into materialism much.

I'm single and apart from looking after my elderly parent, I have no personal responsibilities or commitments.

Age 36, single, no children, dependent parent
Education: Matric, IT Diploma and pursuing degree (for funsies)
Career: Software Development / Senior Software Developer

Income
  • R100k gross p/m (employment, non-contract)
Previously I earned ~85k, but moved employers after the COVID salary cuts. Moving jobs aligned with wanting a change in work environment and thankfully also resulted in a decent salary boost. :D

Before that I was on ~75k in the year prior.

New employer doesn't mandate deduction on pension, so that's a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Expenses (typically)
  • R5k medical aid (parent and self)
  • R1k petrol (lasts a few months because WFH)
  • R360 car insurance
  • R850 fibre
  • R100 airtime / mobile data (yes, I still have the S7 :))
  • R30k investments
  • R12k helping family
  • R800 life/income/disability insurances
  • R10k rent, water, electricity
  • R4.5k food and groceries
No bond or car payments. Apart from being naughty and having take-out now and then, most of my income (sans above) stays with me and gets invested or saved.

Misc
  • As I get older, I find the mental cost of owning things to be substantial. These days I find buying things to be a difficult process, even when it's needed. I'm even more minimalist than in my last post.
  • I'm in the process of selling the property I have and will invest the proceeds.
  • All of my investment income gets reinvested back into my portfolio.
  • I hold a very small % in SA pension, with the bulk of my investments being abroad.
  • Long term goal is FI. I have been consistent in the goal, but other factors will extend my time to reach it.

Arzy

Honorary Master

Income
Previously I earned ~85k, but moved employers after the COVID salary cuts. Moving jobs aligned with wanting a change in work environment and thankfully also resulted in a decent salary boost. :D

New employer doesn't mandate deduction on pension, so that's a thumbs up from me.

Expenses (typically)
  • R360 car insurance
  • R850 fibre
  • R30k investments
  • R12k helping family
No bond or car payments. Apart from being naughty and having take-out now and then, most of my income (sans above) stays with me and gets invested or saved.

Misc
  • As I get older, I find the mental cost of owning things to be substantial. These days I find buying things to be a difficult process, even when it's needed. I'm even more minimalist than in my last post.
  • I'm in the process of selling the property I have and will invest the proceeds.
  • I hold a very small % in SA pension, with the bulk of my investments being abroad.
  • Long term goal is FI. I have been consistent in the goal, but other factors will extend my time to reach it.
/applauds

Showing nice discipline there!

If I can just stick to my budget I hope to move a similar amount out of the country monthly.

heartbroken

Expert Member
You guys are making some serious bank, well done.

@r4nd0m I get you on the cost of owning things these days, I go through a process of "why do you need" it with almost every purchase these days. For me it's almost as if the hassle of procuring/insuring/maintaining something is starting to mostly outweigh why I want it.

hj007

Expert Member

Income

New employer doesn't mandate deduction on pension, so that's a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Expenses (typically)
  • R360 car insurance
  • R850 fibre
  • R30k investments
  • R12k helping family

Misc
nice. plans post FI?

RedViking

Nord of the South

Income

Expenses (typically)
  • R360 car insurance
  • R850 fibre
  • R30k investments
  • R12k helping family

Misc
How the hell do you get that kind of money monthly working FOR SOMEONE.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
How the hell do you get that kind of money monthly working FOR SOMEONE.
Without a degree nogal!

Doing well my side. Income & expense wise but realized investments are a problem. Most stuff in 1st world is at near zero or negative interest rate. Stock market is dicey. Property largely unaffordable.

...so trying some more risky & concentrated investments. Next ~half a year could be either very awesome or suck balls based on that. Effective major overexposed on 2x plays so need at least one to pan out.

Plus bonus season so will find out what new employer's bonuses are like. Hoping for 30%

Last edited:

cguy

Executive Member
Without a degree nogal!

Doing well my side. Income & expense wise but realized investments are a problem. Most stuff in 1st world is at near zero or negative interest rate. Stock market is dicey. Property largely unaffordable.

...so trying some more risky & concentrated investments. Next ~half a year could be either very awesome or suck balls based on that. Effective major overexposed on 2x plays so need at least one to pan out.

Plus bonus season so will find out what new employer's bonuses are like. Hoping for 30%
In the same boat - I’m about as heavy in the stock market as I want to be, and (municipal) bonds aren’t offering enough yields to be worthwhile. Thinking of another buy to let property in a different state.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
2020 Was good for me. I had 2 increases and a 100% bonus. Saving a lot on travel and working from home has helped me prepare better with buying groceries and cooking more so pushing all my savings into debt and saving up for a home loan and deposit on it.

gottagoon

Executive Member
OK. Let's see. Back on topic.

R140 for repaired 54 cm
R160 for repaired 74cm

Soooo, I earn around 4K a month. Sometimes 6K.

I make too much money. Can't even spend it all here.

3WA

Honorary Master
OK. Let's see. Back on topic.

R140 for repaired 54 cm
R160 for repaired 74cm

Soooo, I earn around 4K a month. Sometimes 6K.

I make too much money. Can't even spend it all here.

Maybe if you spent some on a hooker, you'd come right in the head.