How much money do you earn? And how do you spend it?

Stefan.dl

This thread has really been an eye-opener. Sites like glassdoor and payscale would suggest I'm earning above average - but this thread leads me to believe otherwise.
  • Experience: 4.5 years
  • Qualification: BSc
  • Industry: Software Development
  • CTC: R650,000 (excl bonus)
  • Nett p/m: R36,000 (deduct: medical aid, paye, uif, pension)
  • Type: Perm
For the duration of my 4.5 years as a working adult, I've never switched jobs - been at the same company all the while. With COVID, my increase last year was dismal (3.0%).

Based on some salaries here - I feel after 5 years of experience I should be on the R750,000 - R800,000 mark. I might negotiate a higher salary at my current employer or find a new employer who will offer me that.
It's not bad but I've also learned that staying at the same place for a long time does not do wonders for salaries. Generally I switch jobs at around the 2.5-3 years mark and get 30% more with each move. You can't get far if you keep getting 4 or 5 % a year increase. It also depends on what language you develop in and whether you are taking on more management level tasks.

axsis

This thread has really been an eye-opener. Sites like glassdoor and payscale would suggest I'm earning above average - but this thread leads me to believe otherwise.
For the duration of my 4.5 years as a working adult, I've never switched jobs - been at the same company all the while. With COVID, my increase last year was dismal (3.0%).

Based on some salaries here - I feel after 5 years of experience I should be on the R750,000 - R800,000 mark. I might negotiate a higher salary at my current employer or find a new employer who will offer me that.
Not sure what kind of software development you do. But this is above my current salary, so I think you are above average most likely. Sounds like you got a decent position.

Lukcydog

To be frank, "5 years' experience" is subjective. I've seen people with 5 years experience and they cannot be classified as a junior. In another case, I have an employee (26 years of age) in our team that has 2 years experience and he is so good/talented that he is doing the work of teammates with 10+ years experience.

Be careful of not pricing yourself out of the market and not being able to find another job because no-one is willing to pay. I've turned away numerous software devs who wanted outrageous salaries (ie we cant recover their costs) and they are stuck either at either the banks or the large mining houses.

cguy

Executive Member
Those sites tend to show statistically lower salaries because:
- They include older salaries in their averages (in countries with higher inflation these tend to create a large bias)
- Only lower paid/junior employees tend to fill the surveys in
- They don’t account for title changes/differences (software developer va software engineer vs senior vs principal vs architect, etc.), so you may think you are seeing the average for a profession, but it’s actually for a title.
- They don’t account for benefits, bonuses, equity, etc. in a clear way, so you don’t ever know what’s really been compared
- People often enter rubbish information to continue browsing

This depends on a lot of other factors. If the 3% is due to covid name isn’t ongoing, it may be ok to stay. Generally, it’s not a bad idea to see what’s out there, and balance moving about for money against stress, long term skills development and job-hopping.

I’ve moved jobs 3 times in nearly 25 years of working. Each time for 50-100+% more.

cguy

Executive Member
Be careful of not pricing yourself out of the market and not being able to find another job because no-one is willing to pay. I've turned away numerous software devs who wanted outrageous salaries (ie we cant recover their costs) and they are stuck either at either the banks or the large mining houses.
Sucks for them. :p

Priapus

Executive Member
Generally I switch jobs at around the 2.5-3 years mark and get 30% more with each move.
That’s one way to price yourself out the market quickly. Also it won’t always work. You might be able to do it a handful of times and then you’ll be stuck. I don’t recommend that route. Seen people do it and eventually end up at a place they can’t move upwards from.

Leo_

R650k after 5 years of experience is really well done. You are in the minority of South Africans, seeing as most won’t see that even after they retire.

That being said, most big corporates have a maximum budget for senior software developers - this fluctuates around R900k - R1.4m p/a permanently. Notice I said maximum - meaning if you ask for more, they’ll discard you and hire someone else. These maximums are usually for people with 15+ years of experience (but it isn’t uncommon seeing that after 10 years).

Money is a large driving force of course, but it shouldn’t be the only one. If you are getting good job satisfaction, your leadership encourages you to grow, and gives you a reasonable level of autonomy; you should stick around especially as you’re young in the career.

Last edited:

Leo_

The average South African’s real take-home pay for May 2021 was R12,650

1624481229758.png

SZN

Expert Member

The average South African’s real take-home pay for May 2021 was R12,650

View attachment 1094367

If you're measuring yourself or your "success" against the average South African...

Priapus

Executive Member
These maximums are usually for people with 15+ years of experience (but it isn’t uncommon seeing that after 10 years).

I've seen it happen with people with less than 10yrs. Closer to 6yrs experience. Just depends on what software dev you're doing. :sneaky:

Leo_

I've seen it happen with people with less than 10yrs. Closer to 6yrs experience. Just depends on what software dev you're doing. :sneaky:
If we're talking about permanent, then that's really very rare (I've personally not seen it). We wouldn't want to risk such a budget on such low experience.

Contingency on the other hand is extremely lucrative - and we've hired for R700p.h for under 10 years expereience.

However if we find a permanent replacement for cheaper, guess whose contract isn't renewing.

Do you care to share details on 6 years of software development experience earning R1.4m p.a ?

Richdadpoordad

New account for becoming anonymoose
Age 35 - Masters highest qual
Salary 96k gross net 54k
Rental income - 35k

Bond 19k
Car 9k
Insur - 4k
Domestic 7.5k
School fees - 16k for 2kids
Rates n electric - 8k
Groc 8k
Petrol 3k
Inter n cellphones 2k
Levy 4k

Salaried hrs per week where I actually work 15hrs

Bonus 3% annual CTC
Additional Contract work annually around 200k congress in dribs and drabs

randomcat

Expert Member
Salary 96k gross net 54k
Rental income - 35k

Bond 19k
Car 9k
Insur - 4k
Domestic 7.5k
Rates n electric - 8k
Groc 8k
Petrol 3k
Inter n cellphones 2k
Levy 4k

Bonus 3% annual CTC
Line of work

CUZ_458

Salary 96k gross net 54k
Rental income - 35k

Bond 19k
Car 9k
Insur - 4k
Domestic 7.5k
Rates n electric - 8k
Groc 8k
Petrol 3k
Inter n cellphones 2k
Levy 4k

Bonus 3% annual CTC
Nice ! so you work 3 hours per day ?

pboy

Expert Member
Anyone heard about the concept of ENOUGH?
Like live and work to earn enough rather than just alot... I read a bit somewhere I'll link it here.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Anyone heard about the concept of ENOUGH?
Like live and work to earn enough rather than just alot... I read a bit somewhere I'll link it here.

My girlfriend and I have been discussing this. I know some people who earn extremely well, but the toll on their mental health is severe. I'd not want that.

If you can earn enough to be happy, without stressing too much, I think it is a pretty good place to be.