How much money do you earn? And how do you spend it?

cguy

Executive Member
Many of us use this thread as a litmus test of the actual job market. Some of these figures can't be factual in the least. Especially since most of the posters disappear when questioned.

I wouldn't. Non of the information is verifiable. Secondly, your path in life is very different to the next person. So comparing might not seem fair.

Take me for instance, in my career I have less than 10yrs experience - yet my salary is a lot higher than a lot of what has been posted here. But my path has not been the typical path you'd take and the doors opened for me, were a matter of just bumping into the right people at the right time.

I tend to believe that most people aren’t lying about their CTC and such (it would just be such a lame thing to do on an anonymous forum) for the stock standard salary + bonus, etc.

However, I absolutely believe that people with non-standard pay structures tend to get “confused” (usually in a way that makes them seem like they’re earning more).

Some examples I’ve seen:
- People who get paid in shares/options/RSUs, sometimes consider the growth of the share price as part of their income. E.g., they get $200k of Amazon shares, and then claim their income is base + $600k, because the share price tripled. Your CTC is what they give you at grant time, not sale time.
- People who run businesses, and report their revenue as gross income. E.g., they build something that requires $100k of parts, and sell it for $200k, and then claim their gross income is $200k, and net income is $60k.
- People who daytrade, tend to extrapolate their income after every successful month, because “they’ve figured it out now”, and ignore the negative/low months prior. It’s why most of them still do it :p
- People with highly variable income, such as sales, also tend to focus on their good months, and often consider what “they could make if they worked harder” as their salary for discussion purposes.

Sources: Mostly from hiring discussions at past companies.

pboy

Expert Member
Come on let's be frank.
The ENOUGH idea does seem to have some minimalist ideas attached to it. But it doesn't have to.
It rather hinge on what's vs needs.

You make it whatever you want it to be.

Ice that cake with the lifestyle goals you hold more important than time, and I'm sure you will find a decent number.

Even Time is sometimes over rated.. each to their own I guess. Just make it work and don't live in excess. And each of us has our own ideas of what excess is.

cguy

Executive Member
Come on let's be frank.
The ENOUGH idea does seem to have some minimalist ideas attached to it. But it doesn't have to.
It rather hinge on what's vs needs.

You make it whatever you want it to be.

Ice that cake with the lifestyle goals you hold more important than time, and I'm sure you will find a decent number.

Even Time is sometimes over rated.. each to their own I guess. Just make it work and don't live in excess. And each of us has our own ideas of what excess is.
I suppose it’s just pointing out that perhaps wasting your life to make money you will never spend is may not be a good use of time.

My only criticism with FIRE and ENOUGH and such is that it’s often a bit short sighted. Much of the time it’s people with somewhat solipsistic views, who figure out what they (and their immediate family) need, achieve it and pat themselves on the back for no longer being chained to a job. Twenty years later, when their folks retire and run out or cash, when a sibling dies and leaves a family behind without enough means, when a tragedy hits a close friend, etc., … well they claim they would help out, but don’t have ENOUGH. ;)

Last edited:

pboy

Expert Member
I am intrigued by FIRE and ENOUGH..but you do bring up some pretty good points there.

What is the balance?
If not full FIRE then keep going till? What are the ideals we should be reaching, like when do we take our foot off the gas? Keep living minimalist or what then are certain lifestyle choices that we shouldn't negotiate on?

I'd like to know.

Changing cars every 5 yrs ain't it.
2 week holidays a year ain't it.
A holiday home at the coast ain't it..
Those just sound excessive!

But what then are those choices that really augment your life?

hj007

Expert Member
Throw-away account for obvious reasons.

Highest qualification: NSC
Industry: Self-employed, Retail.

Monthly Gross: R100k - R550k (Nov/Dec) pre-covid
Rental Income: R200k p/m (pre-covid)
Interesting...
Whats the self employed / rental income from? And what causes such a high spike in gross?

hj007

Expert Member
I am intrigued by FIRE and ENOUGH..but you do bring up some pretty good points there.

What is the balance?
If not full FIRE then keep going till? What are the ideals we should be reaching, like when do we take our foot off the gas? Keep living minimalist or what then are certain lifestyle choices that we shouldn't negotiate on?

I'd like to know.

If you earn money, you have enough investments that just grow, but it provides something more than just money then keep at it. You need meaning, and at a certain point more money has diminishing returns.
It isn't my idea of a good life to be an unhealthy divorced unhappy 50 year old in a Ferrari for instance, since 3/4 things are a bad outcome.
So wealth is good, meaning is good, challenge, health and happiness, social all these things matter. You might give up some for others for a short while but overall I would want to maximize all of them as far as possible.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I think its time we start making money out of your home brews. Might be the career change I need.
**** that, Im a lazy twat, I make for my own consumption.
Bosses at work know I am lazy.
And that's why they always give me tasks.

If you want **** done give it to the laziest bastard at work, he will figure out a shortcut on how to do it and get it done in half the time and half the costs, so that he can go back to sitting around being lazy again.

True Story ;)

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
**** that, Im a lazy twat, I make for my own consumption.
Bosses at work know I am lazy.
And that's why they always give me tasks.

If you want **** done give it to the laziest bastard at work, he will figure out a shortcut on how to do it and get it done in half the time and half the costs, so that he can go back to sitting around being lazy again.

True Story ;)
You've got a new task, make us rich.

Use that lazy gift and get it done in half the time

cguy

Executive Member

What is the balance?

I'd like to know.

My take as someone well past most people’s FIRE threshold, is that if the work is pretty interesting, and your most pessimistic realistic scenario is still not covered it makes sense to continue working.

My job is challenging, allows me to travel, and gives me a fair amount of autonomy. I wouldn’t do it for free, and there are certainly other things I would rather be doing, but only marginally so.

maumau

Honorary Master
Take everything with a pinch of salt. It';s the internet after all.

Many of us use this thread as a litmus test of the actual job market. Some of these figures can't be factual in the least. Especially since most of the posters disappear when questioned.

What's the point of lying on an anonymous forum?

Surely nobody's that insecure.

Splinter

Honorary Master
Enough to do what?
Enough to easily afford to live and mostly eat bully beef and pap?
Enough to not worry about food, and live in a townhouse?
Enough to have a real yard for your kids to play in, in a good, safe neighborhood?
Enough to go on a 2 week vacation every year?
Enough to buy a nice, new safe car every 5 years?
Enough to pursue your rather expensive hobby?
Enough to put your 2 kids in a very good, but not ridiculous school which offers great education?
Enough to have all that, but live close to the office so that you don't spend and hour in traffic every day?

Suddenly you are looking at a R 100K+ household, and it may not yet be enough. Only when you have to decide if the negatives outweigh the money can you really decide what is enough FOR YOU.

This...and a bit more.

I often put money on the lotto/powerball and then go to sleep imagining what I would do with all those millions.

Funnily enough, I find there is not much I am truly wanting. I don't have a huge house - but I'm happy with it. I have a 6 year old car - but I'm happy with it. I have my bachelor toys like PC/console/flat screens - which I am happy with.

Other than being able to not work, as my own decision, I find maybe being able to help family and friends is likely the most gratifying thing I would get out of winning the lotto.

This, is of course, the entire opposite of folks with less and having kids and schooling etc.

I'm just talking about what I find "enough " to be for me.