How much money Software Developers and IT Managers earn in South Africa

Johand

Expert Member
No. If your data is as dicey as this rather not publish it...

kripstoe

Expert Member
"indication of the average salary offerings" across a very broad industry. So it could very well be imho.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Wouldn't survive on any of those. Where do they dig these figures up?
Not just comparing to myself, but mates in the industry would also scoff at those numbers.

Think the columns should have read junior and intermediate, instead of intermediate and senior.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not just comparing to myself, but mates in the industry would also scoff at those numbers.

Think the columns should have read junior and intermediate, instead of intermediate and senior.
Completely agree. Even as an average the salary range for senior developers looks way too low.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

You couldn't "survive" on 30k a month?

I simply find that very hard to believe.

Scoffing at the numbers is one thing, but to say you can't survive is just silly.

DominionZA

Executive Member
You couldn't "survive" on 30k a month?

I simply find that very hard to believe.

Scoffing at the numbers is one thing, but to say you can't survive is just silly.
I suppose survive is a bit broad. Anyone could survive on that. Even less.
But to survive - as our lifestyle is now - not a chance.

Solitude

Expert Member
To high or to low?
Too low.

Since the data comes from actual job postings, I'm a bit surprised really. Something that I have noticed however is that if you land a job and you prove yourself invaluable then you earn the big bucks because the company doesn't want to lose you. And that probably happens for quite a few of us and hence the reason why the numbers aren't reflected in this article.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I suppose survive is a bit broad. Anyone could survive on that. Even less.
But to survive - as our lifestyle is now - not a chance.
Yeah that's what I was getting at. We are all accustomed to a certain lifestyle but could probably do just fine on way less money.

As the real world goes the numbers seem pretty reasonable to me for averages.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Too low.

Since the data comes from actual job postings, I'm a bit surprised really. Something that I have noticed however is that if you land a job and you prove yourself invaluable then you earn the big bucks because the company doesn't want to lose you. And that probably happens for quite a few of us and hence the reason why the numbers aren't reflected in this article.
Job postings generally are going to be lower as they try to get more value for their money.

It's only during the interview process and maybe after trying a couple of times and failing to get real value for their money that the real numbers come out.

Surveying people actually in jobs already would skew the numbers the other way again because people who have been in the same positions for 10+ years would be getting more money than they are really worth in many cases.

Cius

Executive Member
Those numbers do seem very low compared to what I know of the industry. My experience is skewed towards people with engineering or BSc IT degrees though working as developers and I do think qualified guys on average earn a lot more, this being SA and all. Still, I know decent developers who earn almost double the highest number they show.