How much money South Africa’s top telecoms companies and ISPs make

koeks525

Expert Member
I am surprised MTN's estimated figure is not far from Telkom. I thought MTN would be close to Vodacom when it came to the revenue department.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Surprised at SABC.
What do they need bailouts all the time for.

krycor

Honorary Master
I am surprised MTN's estimated figure is not far from Telkom. I thought MTN would be close to Vodacom when it came to the revenue department.

MTN I think makes more money outside SA.. i think MTN Nigeria makes more than SA lately too.

krycor

Honorary Master
These are MTN South Africa Operation figures not MTN Group

Yip MTN's growth strategy has always been Africa growth and later/now Middle east & emerging. So while Vodacom has always pumped funds made in Sa to investors(part of their partnership stuff?), MTN funded expansion which has worked brilliantly in terms of footprint and lately revenue which is no longer tied solely on Sa. If i recall right, MTN is one of the largest cell operators

Paul_S

Expert Member
Revenue (turnover) means nothing if you're not turning a profit.

yebocan

Honorary Master
MTN I think makes more money outside SA.. i think MTN Nigeria makes more than SA lately too.

Added to their Iranian funds, that they will now be able to repatriate and report on...

cozinsky

Expert Member
I was surprised by Vox's revenue. I did not know they were so big.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Vox is listed so its easy to get their details. As I recall, they built their business on the back of Orion Telecom (massive volumes due to least cost PABX routing) and supplemented with Datapro (ISP to smaller corporates).

R13...

Honorary Master
Vox is listed so its easy to get their details. As I recall, they built their business on the back of Orion Telecom (massive volumes due to least cost PABX routing) and supplemented with Datapro (ISP to smaller corporates).

And that's why they opposed the reduction in termination rates because it would hurt their business model.

Lazy

Yip MTN's growth strategy has always been Africa growth and later/now Middle east & emerging. So while Vodacom has always pumped funds made in Sa to investors(part of their partnership stuff?), MTN funded expansion which has worked brilliantly in terms of footprint and lately revenue which is no longer tied solely on Sa. If i recall right, MTN is one of the largest cell operators

For a long time Vodacom were only allowed to operate below the equator in terms of it's agreement with Vodafone. At least, that was the reason and explanations used when I was there yonks ago.

During this time, MTN conquered Africa without any of these restricions.