How much money you can make as an Uber driver in Johannesburg

xrapidx

Honorary Master
How many uber drivers own their own vehicles? From adverts I've seen, the vehicle owner takes about 50% - and the driver the other 50% (If they're lucky)

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Saw something interesting the other day about Uber driver pay, it was about the US though.

The drivers think they making great cash but then they have to pay tax as Uber doesn't do that for them and then factor in the cost of petrol and maintenance per mile and they were effectively earning $0.06 a mile.

How closely this mirrors the situation in SA I'm not sure but can't be too far off I would imagine.

SAsoccerfan

What if the table provided by uber is just a manipulation of drivers into thinking that they could possibly make more at those times while in actual fact, uber is getting more drivers on the road at times when there are no drivers available.

marine1

Honorary Master
Too many drivers on the road and I dont think they are making this kind of cash TBH

Sebulba

Yea, don't know about this. Just quickly glancing out the window here in CT i can see at least 6 Ubers just standing idle.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Does anybody know someone who makes pocket money from Uber by driving casually, when they feel like it, in their own car?

Kerrits

How many uber drivers own their own vehicles? From adverts I've seen, the vehicle owner takes about 50% - and the driver the other 50% (If they're lucky)

Well, I have spoken to drivers who earned enough to buy their own vehicles after a while.

KaMoS

Expert Member
I'm an Uber Partner. I have a driver and on a great week this is how much he makes, so I would say these numbers are accurate. If you're a driver partner, it's possible for you to make a lot of good money but like the article said, it requires long hours, 60 - 70 per week.

RichardG

Honorary Master
Too many drivers on the road and I dont think they are making this kind of cash TBH

2-3 years ago they would be smiling but now the market is flooded with over 4500 drivers in Jo'burg, many uber drivers I have spoken with do it for additional income. Work normal hours 8am - 5pm but before going to work they switch on the app between 5am and after work they work until 10 pm. One Uber black driver made over R18000 for the week

bigboy529

Expert Member
Does anybody know someone who makes pocket money from Uber by driving casually, when they feel like it, in their own car?

I once had a driver who does exactly this. Him and his wife both have day jobs, his wife only works half days. They have 2 cars a Uber X and Uber Black, depending on day of the week, how busy it is etc, him and his wife will do a few hours here and there to supplement their income.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

I think its a bit of a pyramid though, they are making money now but lots of people are becoming drivers. Its opened up the market but will eventually get saturated and there will be too many drivers.

I knew a lady at work who had two cars that she made R17k a week between them, after paying the drivers.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I once had a driver who does exactly this. Him and his wife both have day jobs, his wife only works half days. They have 2 cars a Uber X and Uber Black, depending on day of the week, how busy it is etc, him and his wife will do a few hours here and there to supplement their income.

Thanks for the info - do you need a specific type/colour of car to qualify? Do you need to know the area or does that app navigate you properly as a driver to the destination?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Thanks for the info - do you need a specific type/colour of car to qualify? Do you need to know the area or does that app navigate you properly as a driver to the destination?

There are specific car requirements yes, I think not older than 2012 for starters, then the classes of X and Black, X being your lower class sedans like Toyota Corolla and black being the more fancy cars like Mercedes C class.
I think as long as you can follow a GPS then you'll be fine.