How much South Africans are willing to pay for a DStv streaming service

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Really have zero interest in a DSTV/Supersport streaming service.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
R0.

Never had DSTV so don't see why I would suddenly be inclined just because it's streaming.

Peon

Expert Member
Besides its not like F-allchoice would listen to us.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Maybe like R50 for supersport that would be a fair price were I won't pirate anymore.

HunterGR

Expert Member
Only 1% of respondents said they would be willing to pay R800-R1,000 per month for a DStv Premium streaming service.
this 1% should just get premium and be done with it.

Azg

Expert Member
I would prefer DSTV Premium / Supersport (satellite TV not streaming) at those prices (<R400).

jasweb

Can't install DSTV NOW on my Note 8. Says unofficial in the Play Store. Stock Official Android.. Ai ai ai. When I got it reset it.. 3 times.. Always stayed unofficial. Oh well.

Sorry uncertified.. Not unofficial. But System Info says Official.

Jola

Honorary Master
I would pay R100pm for SS1, and another R100pm for SS2. Don't want anything else from DSTV.

Bilaal687

Can't install DSTV NOW on my Note 8. Says unofficial in the Play Store. Stock Official Android.. Ai ai ai. When I got it reset it.. 3 times.. Always stayed unofficial. Oh well.

Sorry uncertified.. Not unofficial. But System Info says Official.
Did you have the device from new?

jasweb

Did you have the device from new?
Yep. Directly from Vodacom on contract. Was uncertified.. Factory reset. Uncertified. Upgraded to Oreo. Still Uncertified. :/

Now just lives with it. Only dstv now not working. All other apps work fine.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Since when is a MyBB result indicative of what South Africans would be willing to pay?As I showed with a graph(tm MyBB) in another thread, a MyBB result does not even represent 5% of MyBB members. Taking a fat chance here are you not?

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Would love to get the identities of the 1% willing to pay R800/1000.

They must flogged in public (provided they do not work for Monochoice which would make their vote understandable).

Shaneyboy0171

Content costs money. In South Africa we might have nearly 50mil residence but only the bulk of the people can't afford the luxury of paytv with good content. Only around 8m people or give or take 2.8mil households could possibly afford premium Dstv. They currently at 1mil give or take subscribers. So economies of scale is limited in our country. I think what they charge is alot but when u have investors to look after its fair, they not shooting out the lights like some companies. They should think of offering a premium light package offer, where u don't get access to dstv now and showmax and charge R650. I'm sure people will still be happy to pay that. I would. I'd be happy to pay R500 with no Supersport.

stepper

Expert Member
Yep. Directly from Vodacom on contract. Was uncertified.. Factory reset. Uncertified. Upgraded to Oreo. Still Uncertified. :/

Now just lives with it. Only dstv now not working. All other apps work fine.
Try version 1.4 , works on my uncertified old proline tablet

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Jesus, what is up with you people? Those results are embarrassing. Perhaps MyBB should have provided an option for not being interested at any price, because expecting DSTV Premium via streaming for R200pm or less is stupidly unrealistic.

My most optimistic projection for DSTV streaming packages:

DSTV Now Compact - R199
DSTV Now Compact Plus - R349
DSTV Now Premium - R499

With the included content identical to what the satellite equivalents contain.

That would be really good value for consumers and hopefully good enough for Multichoice.

Maybe like R50 for supersport that would be a fair price were I won't pirate anymore.
About half-price of what Netflix is going for seems fair for a few sport channels.
Not a prayer. Sports broadcasting rights cost a fortune. They are probably by far DSTV's biggest expenses. A Multichoice exec told my step-dad in a golf tournament that DSTV is Supersport with sprinkles on top.