How much South Africans are willing to pay for a DStv streaming service

Mokhothu

DSTV has been running the television show over the last decade. Telkom has been running the internet show since 500-BC. It's about time they both had some competition.

poffle

Executive Member
LOL.
Sports is the biggest expense at Multichoice by a HUGE margin, its freaking expensive to get all those rights. But saying that, i think R200-R300 is a fair sweet spot for those who love their sports.

SS is one of the best broadcasters in the world when it comes to live sport. They show 99% of what South Africans are interested in and live.

Just comparing to Singapore here. At Starhub you can get a Sports only package. R220 per month.
You get all the major sport events from Golf, tennis, soccer, racing, badmington but then NO premier league, No rugby, NO cricket.

Last edited:

stepper

Expert Member
Worked last night. This morning: can't play. Please use a certified device.. Oh well.. Fun while it lasted..
Did you update the app? Cos if you did then the latest version doesn't work with uncertified devices. Check which version you are on now.

spiff

Executive Member
like the old fairy tale - had dstv - got rid of it - lived happily ever after - end of story!!

jasweb

Did you update the app? Cos if you did then the latest version doesn't work with uncertified devices. Check which version you are on now.
Nope. Play store does not update sideloaded apps. 1.42.17 that worked last night (newest is 2.something).

But it is fine.. Has an S6 which is certified. Bit smaller screen. #beggers vs #choosers

Tinuva

The Magician
Worked last night. This morning: can't play. Please use a certified device.. Oh well.. Fun while it lasted..
It probably auto updated.
Uninstall the app. Then go back to Google Play and go to "My apps" and remove it there too, to ensure it wont auto install/update again. Then sideload 1.4

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Something a bit more realistic then that R100 to R200 foolery:

R500 for full Premium

R450 for Sports only

R350 for Premium less sports

jasweb

It probably auto updated.
Uninstall the app. Then go back to Google Play and go to "My apps" and remove it there too, to ensure it wont auto install/update again. Then sideload 1.4
Ah.. Was a beta tester.. So left that "program", Uninstalled and side loaded and for now working again.

Thanx

rietrot

Honorary Master
LOL.
Sports is the biggest expense at Multichoice by a HUGE margin, its freaking expensive to get all those rights. But saying that, i think R200-R300 is a fair sweet spot for those who love their sports.

SS is one of the best broadcasters in the world when it comes to live sport. They show 99% of what South Africans are interested in and live.

Just comparing to Singapore here. At Starhub you can get a Sports only package. R220 per month.
You get all the major sport events from Golf, tennis, soccer, racing, badmington but then NO premier league, No rugby, NO cricket.
It's their own fault for bidding the rights up that hi when they don't even have competition for it. If that's not sustainable maybe they should pay less.
What people don't realise is if they decrease the price they'll actually get 1000 times more subscribers. Literally everyone I know is either sharing their account details with family to stream sport or streaming it for free and you do get decent enough free streaming services almost on par with DSTVs offering. And everyone pirates movies and series.
DSTV will make more money than they currently do if they price their product at a level acceptable and affordable to tge masses which is about R100 p month.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
DSTV streaming quality is CRAP!!

I have 10meg ADSL line (no fibre). On my tv, youtube & netflix = 1080p, no buffering. Dstv on the other hand... 480 (if you are lucky) and buffer like a mofo.

I wouldn't pay for streaming from dstv..

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Something a bit more realistic then that R100 to R200 foolery:

R500 for full Premium

R450 for Sports only

R350 for Premium less sports
Personally I feel they should charge R100 per SS channel (As someone has mentioned). I only watch cricket and rugby, I have zero interest in any soccer, F1 etc. I will pay R200 for SS1 + 2.
But R450 for sports only is just to expensive. Maybe if they say sport + showmax content, then they will be on the right track.

Ideally I would have liked to only pay for the games I watch. Lets say R15 a rugby game. Reason for this is most of us has 1 team we support, so in all likeliness, we will only watch 1 game per week. So that's 4 games for month. If they say R450 sport only, its just not worth it for the 4 games i "might" watch :p

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Instead of building e-peen buildings in Randburg to compete with those of Adrian Gore in Sandton just further up the road, they should use that money rather to pay for their overpriced sports broadcast rights.

Charlie21

I have 10meg ADSL line (no fibre). On my tv, youtube & netflix = 1080p, no buffering. Dstv on the other hand... 480 (if you are lucky) and buffer like a mofo.

I'm probably one of the lucky few who's doesn't buffer like a mofo. I get 720p mostly and stream almost whole day.

Realistically I would pay R300 for sports only channel.

Only problem with only having one sport channel example SS1 is that when multiple tournaments are played all the rugby games which I would want to watch don't play on SS1. Example look at the u20 rugby championship. I enjoyed watching the Junior Boks play but it played mostly on SS5 or evens watching the Blitz Boks but when there's Super Rugby or International games they don't play these games on SS1.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

DStv Now is currently a peripheral complementary service. If a standalone streaming service was launched it would presumably be built properly.

It's their own fault for bidding the rights up that hi when they don't even have competition for it. If that's not sustainable maybe they should pay less.
What people don't realise is if they decrease the price they'll actually get 1000 times more subscribers. Literally everyone I know is either sharing their account details with family to stream sport or streaming it for free and you do get decent enough free streaming services almost on par with DSTVs offering. And everyone pirates movies and series.
DSTV will make more money than they currently do if they price their product at a level acceptable and affordable to tge masses which is about R100 p month.
If the product is not profitable then it doesn't matter how many subscribers they have. Multichoice don't voluntarily increase their costs, and in fact I think it's a safe bet that they use our market conditions to justify lower prices.

It is ludicrous to think a package costing nearly a grand a month can be sold via streaming for R100-200. Let's rather have a rational conversation about what we'd like from DStv.

R199 for Compact, R349 for Compact Plus and R499 for Premium would be excellent prices if the service was a reliable 1080p.

Personally I feel they should charge R100 per SS channel (As someone has mentioned). I only watch cricket and rugby, I have zero interest in any soccer, F1 etc. I will pay R200 for SS1 + 2.
But R450 for sports only is just to expensive. Maybe if they say sport + showmax content, then they will be on the right track.

Ideally I would have liked to only pay for the games I watch. Lets say R15 a rugby game. Reason for this is most of us has 1 team we support, so in all likeliness, we will only watch 1 game per week. So that's 4 games for month. If they say R450 sport only, its just not worth it for the 4 games i "might" watch :p
That will never happen. Then certain less popular channels will quickly have to be dropped by DStv. R499 for DStv Now Premium would be excellent value. The rugby channels will almost certainly remain confined to the Premium package as it's a major incentive to most people.

I'm probably one of the lucky few who's doesn't buffer like a mofo. I get 720p mostly and stream almost whole day.

Realistically I would pay R300 for sports only channel.

Only problem with only having one sport channel example SS1 is that when multiple tournaments are played all the rugby games which I would want to watch don't play on SS1. Example look at the u20 rugby championship. I enjoyed watching the Junior Boks play but it played mostly on SS5 or evens watching the Blitz Boks but when there's Super Rugby or International games they don't play these games on SS1.
R300 for a legal comprehensive sports package would make it one of the best priced in the world. Unlikely to happen. My hope for a good middle ground between consumers and Multichoice is R199 for Basic, R349 for Basic Plus and R499 for Premium. With included channels being the same as they are currently.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven

but they move F1 from 206 to 205 to 202 to 208 from time to time...