How much South Africans are willing to pay for a DStv streaming service

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Can't install DSTV NOW on my Note 8. Says unofficial in the Play Store. Stock Official Android.. Ai ai ai. When I got it reset it.. 3 times.. Always stayed unofficial. Oh well.

Sorry uncertified.. Not unofficial. But System Info says Official.
Works 100% on my Note8.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
I can live with R500 for the premium package. Its still a bitter pill as all I literally want from DSTV is Sport. If they can somehow make DSTV like showmax, content on demand (excluding live channels) it makes it a little more lucrative.

Have you had a look at guys like ntv.mx?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I can live with R500 for the premium package. Its still a bitter pill as all I literally want from DSTV is Sport. If they can somehow make DSTV like showmax, content on demand (excluding live channels) it makes it a little more lucrative.

Have you had a look at guys like ntv.mx?
If you just want sport then there's no pill to swallow. DStv is just Supersport with sprinkles on top. It wouldn't be much cheaper if they nonsensically offered a sport-only package.

I have used NTV.mx for a month way back when. Firstly, it's an illegal service and hardly fair to compare to DStv. But even then I cancelled because the user experience was utterly garbage and the United games almost always buffered quite a bit.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
If you just want sport then there's no pill to swallow. DStv is just Supersport with sprinkles on top. It wouldn't be much cheaper if they nonsensically offered a sport-only package.

I have used NTV.mx for a month way back when. Firstly, it's an illegal service and hardly fair to compare to DStv. But even then I cancelled because the user experience was utterly garbage and the United games almost always buffered quite a bit.
I thought as much :-(, that said I have never streamed a game from supersport that did not buffer.
If DSTV does go this route, I will probably go for the Premium package (if its R500 or below), but they have to drastically improve their streaming capabilities. My netflix does not buffer at all, ever, so the problem is not my connection.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Why don't they just sell season passes for specific sporting events?

If I only want to watch the Super Rugby season then I pay x amount and stream any of those games. They could then cost them appropriately to how much it costs them and people wouldn't have a ton of stuff they don't want or watch.

They could do bundles too where you can have all the rugby or all the cricket events.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

If I only want to watch the Super Rugby season then I pay x amount and stream any of those games. They could then cost them appropriately to how much it costs them and people wouldn't have a ton of stuff they don't want or watch.

They could do bundles too where you can have all the rugby or all the cricket events.
Because they need everyone to pay for all the sport or loads of it isn't financially feasible.

Nigel13

For DSTV to compete on the streaming front they would need to offer Movies and SERIES at a similar price point to Netflix before I would even consider signing up with them for streaming.
Sport streaming is however a different animal as there is no competition.
To ask for a full on Sports streaming service you should wake up and smell the roses. DSTV Superstore will never do this.
Rather stream a Soccer Channel, Rugby Channel, Motor Racing Channel and then prices u cell accordingly for streaming depending on what they paid for the rights to broadcast.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
For DSTV to compete on the streaming front they would need to offer Movies and SERIES at a similar price point to Netflix before I would even consider signing up with them for streaming.
Sport streaming is however a different animal as there is no competition.
To ask for a full on Sports streaming service you should wake up and smell the roses. DSTV Superstore will never do this.
Rather stream a Soccer Channel, Rugby Channel, Motor Racing Channel and then prices u cell accordingly for streaming depending on what they paid for the rights to broadcast.
It's not fair to expect DStv to be priced the same as Netflix. The latter has enormous economies of scale and has shifted its focus to original content.

DStv has Game of Thrones, Westworld, countless other premium shows and films etc. that are very costly. And the local content is often even more pricey than international stuff. And all targeted at a tiny market. And that's not accounting for sport, which overshadows everything else.

The existing tiers for DStv exist for a reason. They are calculated based on how to keep the most content available for the most people. Assuming the infrastructure for streaming is much cheaper than all the satellite stuff, R199 -> R349 -> R499 would probably be our best case scenario for a standalone DStv Now.

spiff

Executive Member
latest ad from telkom - even they know streaming is the way to go - Dumb Stupid tv just don't get it

telkom.jpg

Tom427

€20 / R300. It's not worth more - if that. I cancelled DSTV, subscribed to Netflix and watch sports in the local pub - with friends (can you imagine?)!

DSTV sucked 10 years ago, and it got worse. Face the reality DSTV and wake up to the competition, like any other business. Consumers who once could afford DSTV easily woke up and start to look around. Times are tough, consumer more critical.

Sports (read: rugby and cricket) is the only draw card for DSTV, but R12.000 per year? Can you feel my pulse??

Arthur

Honorary Master

Sooner or later they'll have to do it, I agree.

To enable that will require non-trivial changes to their management platform.

For a start, every channel, sport, season, tournament and match will need to be allocated new billing codes, along with the infrastructure and headcount to continually update it as new content is scheduled.

Secondly, the existing customer management and billing systems will have to be upgraded to handle on-demand payments. New functionality must in close to realtime authorise streaming of the purchased content and no other. And cut it off if not paid.

New contracts with the content owners will probably have to be negotiated, as they'll want a share in the new revenues from streaming. SA Rugby Cricket SA, SAFA, and twenty others will demand their pound of flesh for streaming rights.

An added complication is that a not inconsiderable portion of local content has shared copyright as well as syndication and sharing agreements with other broadcasters. For example, Super Rugby is jointly owned by SA, NZ and Ozzie broadcasters, and new contracts will have to be negotiated, and then tracking and billing systems must be implemented to share revenues from streaming customers. Not just rugby, but cricket, football, athletics and many other sports.

And then the big global players, for things like F1, tennis, golf, and other big league events, will demand their royalties, portion and cut, as well as weekly and monthly reports of usage, etc so they can audit for royalties.

Also, many/most international partners will insist on strict geofencing and control systems to stop bleed into other geographies.

So, it's far from a simple thing to do.

It's gonna take a while.

Gregac

Cut DSTV last year. Got tired of rip off pricing for declining quality. I thought I might miss it, having had it since the day of inception, but have not looked back. I have zero interest in sport, maybe if they had offered a premium like service at a greatly lower cost I might have stuck around (I hate subsidising sports lovers). Now I'm over it completely.