How much Uber drivers earn in South Africa

rpm

Admin
Staff member
How much Uber drivers earn in South Africa

Uber and Bolt drivers in South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya have complained that their earning potential has declined severely amid rising costs and muted demand during the COVID-19 pandemic.

When Uber announced the expansion of its cheaper “UberGo” ride option – formerly UberNam – from Port Elizabeth to the rest of South Africa, several drivers asked Uber to put the service on hold.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Faceless company. All the money is made up top and they commit virtually no capital compared to profits. Drivers take all the risk and earn a pittance. Still, it's an opportunity for the unemployed I guess... But try resolving a billing issue... Good luck to you.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Faceless company. All the money is made up top and they commit virtually no capital compared to profits. Drivers take all the risk and earn a pittance. Still, it's an opportunity for the unemployed I guess... But try resolving a billing issue... Good luck to you.

I always pay with cash, and give the guy a tip.

krycor

Honorary Master
Interestingly the other day I ordered something on UberEasts which was delivered by a driver with a MrD bag wearing a Takealot shirt.(last two the same company obviously sort of)

Anyway I just thought that was interesting but also made sense given the delivery business models. As mentioned a while back I did this back in the day(decade ago, food delivery.. kinda why tip generously albeit sometimes just down the road pick up and drop off)

while i did it to keep “busy” more than a job, I can’t imagine people doing this(combo with people driving) as a day job as the input cost is higher than most people realize and it slowly but surely adds up.

Living on this sort of income in combo with all living costs, vehicle ownership costs.. trickle down social mobility is a joke.

Zukat

Expert Member

They provide the platform and still to show a profit as a company, you are welcome to create your own and pay the drivers a salary that you see reasonable. That's capitalism

Pixual

Expert Member
The only time I will use Uber is when I literally have no other option. The sooner this business model is shut down and we return to accountable taxi companies the better for our safety and for legitimate businesses.

Uber is slime. So are the rest of them.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja

Ja, I've known for a while, what fee Bolt and Uber take, and I'm still pretty shocked, I reckon they could take 5-10% and still be pretty profitable. on the other hand I'm told any specials they run come out of the company's end, which is good.

Interestingly the other day I ordered something on UberEasts which was delivered by a driver with a MrD bag wearing a Takealot shirt.(last two the same company obviously sort of)

Anyway I just thought that was interesting but also made sense given the delivery business models. As mentioned a while back I did this back in the day(decade ago, food delivery.. kinda why tip generously albeit sometimes just down the road pick up and drop off)

while i did it to keep “busy” more than a job, I can’t imagine people doing this(combo with people driving) as a day job as the input cost is higher than most people realize and it slowly but surely adds up.

Living on this sort of income in combo with all living costs, vehicle ownership costs.. trickle down social mobility is a joke.
Yeah Mr D driver's are freelance, not sure how it works with other apps though.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
The only time I will use Uber is when I literally have no other option. The sooner this business model is shut down and we return to accountable taxi companies the better for our safety and for legitimate businesses.

Same with Airbnb. They all facilitate scams.

Brawler

Honorary Master

Yes and no.
The number of times I would catch a metered Taxi where the route to the destination was R100 and the exact same route on the way back was R180 (Jippo'd meters).
Or you order a Taxi (Biggest company in CT) and some guy rocks up in a 1990 Corolla that cuts out at every traffic light.
Do not miss those days.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Do these calculated figures take into account that if a driver takes you 8km somewhere, they probably need to drive back another 8km to where they started. So in effect every trip is double the distance.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Do these calculated figures take into account that if a driver takes you 8km somewhere, they probably need to drive back another 8km to where they started. So in effect every trip is double the distance.
You can set a destination where you want to end up about and Uber will schedule that all your trips take you that direction.

Or that is according to the last Uber driver that I used.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
It's a free world (still, barely). Nobody is being forced to drive for a ride sharing service for R12000 pm. I fail to see any issue here.
Yep it's like me employing you and you complaining about the pay (unless of course it's below minimum wage).

Bebobwolf

Some poeple own 4 or 5 uber vehicles, so they must be making money. In an 8 hour day, the drivers only have to do 1.8 trips to make R12000 a month, the poor resturant workers work 8 hour's a day and walk home with about R3800 a month. I would rather be a Uber driver.

Pixual

Expert Member
The thing about Uber is that they claim no responsibility for the actions of their drivers. These guys are now fast becoming more of a menace on the roads than the hiace taxi drivers! At least those guys follow set routes - the Ubers go anywhere and do anything. And the cars they are using are almost always clapped out Etios’. No ways I will get in one.

I fail to see how no other legitimate taxi cab company is not able to use the same technology with better (vetted) drivers and more upmarket cars to break into this market? It’s surely not that impossible to write an app that uses GPS?

And as for Airbnb, those people are also slime. I was a successful Superhost for 3 years running and then the locals started booking my place to do whatever underhanded sh*t they do on weekends. The last guest I had left a window open and the next day we got broken into. What did Airbnb do? Nothing. Not their problem. That was the last time we hosted.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Or you order a Taxi (Biggest company in CT) and some guy rocks up in a 1990 Corolla that cuts out at every traffic light.
Do not miss those days.
Uber and Bolt allow drivers with unroadworthy vehicles too. I've used both. Here and abroad.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
The thing about Uber is that they claim no responsibility for the actions of their drivers. These guys are now fast becoming more of a menace on the roads than the hiace taxi drivers! At least those guys follow set routes - the Ubers go anywhere and do anything. And the cars they are using are almost always clapped out Etios’. No ways I will get in one.

I fail to see how no other legitimate taxi cab company is not able to use the same technology with better (vetted) drivers and more upmarket cars to break into this market? It’s surely not that impossible to write an app that uses GPS?

And as for Airbnb, those people are also slime. I was a successful Superhost for 3 years running and then the locals started booking my place to do whatever underhanded sh*t they do on weekends. The last guest I had left a window open and the next day we got broken into. What did Airbnb do? Nothing. Not their problem. That was the last time we hosted.
This.
I've used Airbnb once (Manhattan) and got such a dodgy deal it wasn't funny. On the day I arrive, the "host" tells me not to mention her name to the other guests (there were two rooms) - but if they talk to me to say "I'm a friend of so-and-so". I tried to get hold of Airbnb - they were uncontactable. The key was in a shared combination locked box attached to the Dunkin donuts sign next door... I was asked to only take one set as the other is for another guest. Very secure.

I was billed for rides I did not take on Uber - days after I left the country I was supposed to have taken them in. There is no way to contact a human at Uber. They don't answer emails and flat out ignore complaints. I complained to paypal they came back saying "Uber says it's legit" so I asked for a copy of the invoice and 3 weeks later PayPal refunded me saying "Uber didn't respond to their request". Sharks.

If we talk percentages, I have been scammed 100% on Airbnb and 33% on Uber.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Honorary Master

That "open window" was likely a scam by the guest. Very cheap. They probably hauled the stuff out the front door too and just left the window open.