How much water do you use?

neoprema

Executive Member
Can I get an idea of how many KL of Water you're billed-for by your municipality per MONTH. If possible please indicate how many in the household. Currently we're 4 adults in a large house with a pool. Our usage is 61KL per month. Is that considered high?
Since we came from a complex I never really got to see usage.

TedLasso

Expert Member
Can I get an idea of how many KL of Water you're billed-for by your municipality per MONTH. If possible please indicate how many in the household. Currently we're 4 adults in a large house with a pool. Our usage is 61KL per month. Is that considered high?
3 adults , 2 children, pool and irrigation (runs every alternate day for around 35 mins) . Have not filled pool in two years with municipal water as rain normally sorts it out but may need to in the next few days

Utilisation is 28KL. Before irrigation , it was averaging 13KL per month

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We're billed for an average of 105.5l per day for a family of four. Comes to 14449.9l since the end of June.

joker08

Expert Member
That's an average of 2kl a day ! That's way too high. We are 2 adults and 3 kids. use an average of 350liters a day.

neoprema

Executive Member
That's an average of 2kl a day ! That's way too high. We are 2 adults and 3 kids. use an average of 350liters a day.
Hmm
i need to figure out whats causing this then. Our meter outside doesn't look like its running away when no water is being used but I'll check to be sure.

I did refill the pool about 4 times in the month and the garden has a large 5-zone automatic sprinkler system the previous owners installed that we use twice a week - but that still shouldn't be anywhere near so much?

joker08

Expert Member
Hmm
i need to figure out whats causing this then. Our meter outside doesn't look like its running away when no water is being used but I'll check to be sure.

I did refill the pool about 4 times in the month and the garden has a large 5-zone automatic sprinkler system the previous owners installed that we use twice a week - but that still shouldn't be anywhere near so much?
Get a well point for the garden. or take a reading before you turn on the sprinkler.
When you fill your pool, turn off everything in the house and take a reading. Fill your pool and get the amount of water that you have used.
water savers for bathroom taps, I use this one "linky", 1.3 liter/min for bathroom and 1.6l/min in the kitchen.
water saver flush mechanism from builders for around 200each or add some stones in the cistern.

I get a bill of around R800 including sewerage which I feel is still high, I wonder how much bill you are getting every month.

joker08

Expert Member
Also start with daily monitoring of the meter for a few days. Take a reading at the beginning of the day and around the same time the next day.
Then hourly to find out what or who exactly is using too much water.
I have installed a separate meter inside the property just for the sake of convenience, cost me around 300 for the meter and 250 for installation.

Lupus

Honorary Master
3 people, 2 adults and a child we use 18 to 22kl a month with a pool and the gardener waters every so often. Even with filling the pool after it was relined was only 58kl and the pool is 50kl.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Get a well point for the garden. or take a reading before you turn on the sprinkler.
When you fill your pool, turn off everything in the house and take a reading. Fill your pool and get the amount of water that you have used.
water savers for bathroom taps, I use this one "linky", 1.3 liter/min for bathroom and 1.6l/min in the kitchen.
water saver flush mechanism from builders for around 200each or add some stones in the cistern.

I get a bill of around R800 including sewerage which I feel is still high, I wonder how much bill you are getting every month.

Do you have a link from builders for the water flush saving mechanism,?

lexor

Expert Member
3x adults + 1x teenager

Before the water shortage in CT a few years ago we used about 42kl p/m - filling pool & irrigation.

After this we stopped filling the pool and no more irrigation - have 12kl water(rainwater) in tanks to fill the pool.

Now about 10-12 kl p/m

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Think we were averaging around 10kl as 5 people in summer of 2020, one very large dog (last I calculated we were averaging something like 65l/person). Borehole for watering garden. We didn't change usage compared to before water crisis.

Here I'm averaging around 2.7kl as on person for August, but that was still a small heat wave, wasn't home for half of September or October so can't use those numbers, but extrapolate to about 2.5kl.

This was all due to taking water efficient washing machines and dishwasher, usage used to be a lot higher, and then of course swap to a good shower head that gives enough pressure, that basically reduces your water usage the most.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Live in a complex of townhouses. Water is included in the levy, no idea how much we use (2 adults)

cavedog

Honorary Master
Live in a complex of townhouses. Water is included in the levy, no idea how much we use (2 adults)

I also live in a complex where the whole complex is on a share water basis and gets added to the prepaid electricity as a service fee by impact metering.

People that live downstairs go crazy washing cloths every single day non stop and I get angry because people don't give a damn.

Some months a R1000 electricity voucher only gives me ~280 units or so because of the high water usages by careless people.