How much you need to earn to drive an “average” new car in South Africa

ubercal

Expert Member
So a salary of R33,950 per month (+- top 5% of the population) affords you the "luxury" are buying a Renault Captur .... WTF !!!!!!!!!! Vehicle manufacturers have lost touch with reality.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
R358,390 gives you access to an excellent range of options in South Africa, including the:

• Ford Fiesta 1.5TDCi Trend
  • Suzuki Swift 1.4T Sport Auto
  • Renault Captur 88kW Turbo Dynamique
Really? A Suzuki, Fiesta and Captur are "excellent" at R350k?

I would never consider paying that price for entry level hatchbacks that were not much more than R200k just a few years ago...

The_Traveller

Expert Member
So a salary of R33,950 per month (+- top 5% of the population) affords you the "luxury" are buying a Renault Captur .... WTF !!!!!!!!!! Vehicle manufacturers have lost touch with reality.
So you think new tech should cost the same price as old tech ?

What about market related issues like inflation that also contribute to increase in cost(s) ?

It seems all you know about cars is how to tune your own pos.

ubercal

Expert Member
So you think new tech should cost the same price as old tech ?

What about market related issues like inflation that also contribute to increase in cost(s) ?

It seems all you know about cars is how to tune your own pos.

at least i own my own cars unlike you.Come talk when you having to scrap the bowl to settle that ballon payment you muppet :ROFL:

Last edited:

The_Traveller

Expert Member
at least i own my own cars and not the bank

Ballon payments are your best friend ;)
Good for you, but i don't know what does owning the car got to do with the manufacturer and how they build it (to cost it).

newby_investor

Expert Member
The thing with car prices is that (taxes and import duties aside) it's an international market. Manufacturers don't care if Saffers can't afford the cars, the Germans or the Americans probably can.

The ones who suffer is us, not the car manufacturers.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
eish bafo you not the sharpest tool hey !!!!

But i guess you dont have to be if you were born with a silver spoon in there mouth and Daddy gave you everything.
Perhaps, but i can spot a jap crap with poorly resprayed fenders a mile away ;) ( and i also passed English Gr1).

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Really? A Suzuki, Fiesta and Captur are "excellent" at R350k?

I would never consider paying that price for entry level hatchbacks that were not much more than R200k just a few years ago...

If those are entry level then what is the Kwid and such? I'd say they are real entry level.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If those are entry level then what is the Kwid and such? I'd say they are real entry level.
Those are the industry's attempts to provide something affordable by compromising, often at the expense of safety.

Polos and Fiestas were the original entry level class this millennium. About a decade or so ago they introduced the Vivo and Figo. When those started getting priced out of reach, they introduced the Kwids, Datsuns and other kark that we see today.

I don't expect it to stop there either in a few years when the prices of those cars start exceeding 200k and Golfs start exceeding 1m. Instead of keeping the cars we know within reach of most people, they would rather introduce cheaper crap.

The fact that this class shift exists, where people can no longer afford cars that they were previously able to, is evidence enough that salaries are not keeping up with these price increases...

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
It's not that cars have gotten excessively expensive, although they have increased in price globally, the take away here is to understand how much poorer south Africans have gotten over the last 10 years in usd terms.

Tman*

Expert Member
Simple economics says new car sales will decrease steadily over the next decade because people simply can't afford then anymore.

There will be loads more old cars on the road, one day we will strive to be like Cuba