How much you pay to bring in a parcel from overseas

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
What you forgot to mention, Kevin, is that customs completely thumb-suck the amount you have to pay. You can buy the same item 10 minutes apart and when it lands the amounts are worlds apart.

This is the reason people tell the seller on the other side to under-declare the value of items. Hell, ordering from China I don't even ask them to do it anymore. I'll just receive an email "Dear loving YingYang. I have declared mobile phone 30 dollar. Your best friend, Lee"

cenredash

Expert Member
What you forgot to mention, Kevin, is that customs completely thumb-suck the amount you have to pay. You can buy the same item 10 minutes apart and when it lands the amounts are worlds apart.

This is the reason people tell the seller on the other side to under-declare the value of items. Hell, ordering from China I don't even ask them to do it anymore. I'll just receive an email "Dear loving YingYang. I have declared mobile phone 30 dollar. Your best friend, Lee"
That b*stard Lee, I thought he only treated me special like.

ld13

Honorary Master
Lets not forget about the clearing fees now. SAPO is ~R50 while couriers charge R150-R400+ for the same thing.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Jeez, people just need to educate themselves on how it works. I order stuff from USA and EU a couple of times a year, for the last 5 years, never had a surprise or unexpected costs.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
"It should be noted that courier companies will handle customs clearance on behalf of their clients, which attracts a processing and disbursement fee."

- which is a service they automatically provide without your permission and then hold your package hostage for the fee. TNT's processing fees are something around R450 and the worst of the lot locally.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

That is why you need to produce a legal invoice.

Bizkit87

Executive Member
Jeez, people just need to educate themselves on how it works. I order stuff from USA and EU a couple of times a year, for the last 5 years, never had a surprise or unexpected costs.
Lekker om te k@k as jou maag vol is ne !?

Sharing would be caring in this instance, without telling people how, you are either just bragging, or felt the need to make a useless statement.

Jola

Honorary Master
I try to order through Amazon at the moment (Fulfilled by Amazon).

A while back they often calculated the taxes incorrectly, but lately they have been quite accurate, and their shipping is reasonable.

And with the prepaid taxes, the shipments tends to clear customs very quickly, so you can receive shipments in days, and you know exactly what it is going to cost you.

Third party sellers are a bit more complicated.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Lekker om te k@k as jou maag vol is ne !?

Sharing would be caring in this instance, without telling people how, you are either just bragging, or felt the need to make a useless statement.
Lol. Easy.

1) Never, ever, ever, ever under any circumstances use a postal service, ever.
2) Always use a courier service like DHL or UPS. I usually use UPS from the states, and DHL from EU. Never had a single issue with either of them.
3) Make sure you do your research when ordering something from overseas - it is not always cheaper, but most of the times it simply isn't available here.
4) I've posted this link before, go through it. http://www.ftwonline.co.za/customs . The general rule is this: if there is a strong manufacturing presence in the country you are importing TO, then you are going be slapped, heavily, 40% +. If there is no manufacturing presence in the country, then all you pay is 14% of the total value of the product.

That is it, in a nutshell.

Syco

A couple of years back I imported a Tanzanite necklace that I won on a Ebay auction. The cost was $10 (including shipping).
Image my surprise when I received a notification from customs that I had to pay some R20,000 in Vat and duties. After lengthy phone calls (they insisted that they had it appraised) and me nearly having a heart attack, after proving, via a Paypal invoice, what I had paid, they let me have it duty free!

Swa

Honorary Master

^^
This. Ordered a tripod for R1450 and only paid R50 including clearance fee. Other items were way less and cost more.

That is why you need to produce a legal invoice.
Where is the channel to provide this through? Also the only time I was ever asked for this was through a courier and they told me the email I got (since they don't include invoices) was fine. I could have easily altered it but what would they have done if it was different to the declared value? The whole system is so ****ed it's not even funny.

Lol. Easy.

1) Never, ever, ever, ever under any circumstances use a postal service, ever.
2) Always use a courier service like DHL or UPS. I usually use UPS from the states, and DHL from EU. Never had a single issue with either of them.
3) Make sure you do your research when ordering something from overseas - it is not always cheaper, but most of the times it simply isn't available here.
4) I've posted this link before, go through it. http://www.ftwonline.co.za/customs . The general rule is this: if there is a strong manufacturing presence in the country you are importing TO, then you are going be slapped, heavily, 40% +. If there is no manufacturing presence in the country, then all you pay is 14% of the total value of the product.

That is it, in a nutshell.
So what if it's R300 for a filter adapter and cap? PO charged me nothing but a courier like DHL would be R400 plus clearance fees. Also ebay sellers generally prefer PO only.

A couple of years back I imported a Tanzanite necklace that I won on a Ebay auction. The cost was $10 (including shipping).
Image my surprise when I received a notification from customs that I had to pay some R20,000 in Vat and duties. After lengthy phone calls (they insisted that they had it appraised) and me nearly having a heart attack, after proving, via a Paypal invoice, what I had paid, they let me have it duty free!
Appraised my ass. This is code for someone opening your package and going "this must be worth over R150,000."

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
So what if it's R300 for a filter adapter and cap? PO charged me nothing but a courier like DHL would be R400 plus clearance fees. Also ebay sellers generally prefer PO only.
This is a good point though. Usually the stuff I order is a minimum of R2000. Couriers are expensive if your order isn't that much. I usually make up a big order, to justify the courier costs, which can range from $40 - $70, based on what I've ordered in the past.