How much you will have to pay to say “Goodbye Eskom”

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I pay 95.74c per kilowatt-hour.

You see, this is another reason why this country is falling apart. The hideous differences in what people pay for the same damn thing is totally unacceptable.

I am paying R1.72 per kWh!

You can't run an economy where Eskom pleads poverty, getting 67c for a unit, while home owners are paying anything from R1 to R2 for the same thing.

Musicmp3

Correct me if I am wrong.
Eskom was started out as a NON-PROFIT entity for the people of SA - supplying a service.

Today they a business which is on its knees due to ANC cadre deployment of useless individuals trying to make a quick buck.

Eskom should be non-profit with CEO not raking in massive bonuses from consumers money. All profits should be put back into regeneration.

ngwenyas

Cant they amortise the equipment and installation fees over 5 years? :D

Thanks Makes R230k / 60months = R3.9k per month.

Come to think about it, it's like buying a new house, mxm

Arthur

Honorary Master
Eskom was started out as a NON-PROFIT entity for the people of SA - supplying a service.

Today they a business which is on its knees due to ANC cadre deployment of useless individuals trying to make a quick buck.

Eskom should be non-profit with CEO not raking in massive bonuses from consumers money. All profits should be put back into regeneration.
That's how it used to be until the Eskom Conversion Act in 2001, which essentially nationalised what was until then a public utility that had no shares and was not state-owned before 2001. Most people suffer under the misapprehension that Eskom (or previously Escom/Evkom) was state-owned. It was not, until 2001. But it is now.

Last edited:

oober

Expert Member
Lucky guys. In Oudtshoorn where I am now the tariffs are:
Block 1 (0-350 kWh): R1.51
Block 2 (351-700 kWh): R1.61
Block 3 (>700 kWh): R1.72

They go up again in July.

Wow those rates are high, no wonder you were able to go solar so early...

blunt

Expert Member
I've been looking @ http://skybridge.capetown/

Just bought a new house and am very much considering trying to work this into my renovation budget.

Anyone actually have one of these installed?

K

kingrob

So it will make more sense if you buy everything cash, and not pay it off over 20 years.

Mind you, it will make sense any day, because what can you really do without electricity?

ravindramail2

any one that can do solar system installation at home and how much will it cost to cover lights and geyser?

whatwhat

Executive Member
That we in South Africa need to shell out 200-300K just to have power, and then we all sit around and accept it?

not a ****.

That is the African rot setting in, and slowly but surely we are thinking that it is normal to live in such shambles.

moosag

Expert Member
The beauty of all of this is that it is just beginning.

With more and more people accumulating skills and finding vertical niches in which to operate businesses and provide product (installers, panels, inverters, silicon manufacturing, etc) it is only a matter of time that the local cost of Off-Grid + Hybrid solutions comes down. Thats assuming we have enough competent people available to engage in competition (<--?? Lol who knows ? highly questionable lol)

Anyways with the advances in technology coming down the line the game is sure to change... Think...
- Graphene over Lithium
- Subsidies over imported Panels and other alternate energy source equipment
- Other technological advancement whereby Solar Panels are used as batteries (google it.. Israeli researchers etc)
- Higher yield silicon etc

Anyways this is the beginning of an interesting industry about to start. I say this because:

1) We know GVT are morons of the highest order
2) Eskom has proven that they do not have the technical or money management skills to resolve this issue
3) We are all in for a rough ride over the next few years (both residential and commercial)
4) The need and intensity to find alternate solutions while we wait for Eskom to take their fingers out there behind will become ever more prevalent due to the nature of Point 1 and Point 2 and hopefully driving down costs through competition :)

Piece of advice: Wait for the guinea pig phases to end and be on the look out for well crafted commercial solutions around this.

PS: Anyone contacted Germans to see what they can offer us ?

M

ellyally

Expert Member
I mentioned before a while back, I think we should look into some sort of communal power system in local areas to offset costs(kinda like setting up own fibre networks). The idea would be based on, not everyone uses power at the same time... I don't boil my kettle at exactly the same time you do. If I'm at a mates house having a braai, my panels are being 'wasted' so why can't my neighbour use my solar panels to help out his load etc. If you are in bed at 9pm, why can't I use some of your battery to watch my late night movie. I thought maybe a central battery pool in neighbourhood, each house would have to fork out less for panels and batteries, and due to all panels being networked to battery pool, there would be more available when each house needs it(possibly even having enough panels across neighbourhood to never draw from battery pool during the day). Not sure if its viable, and would need backup for those multiple overcast days, but yeah, just a thought

RichardG

Honorary Master
It is bit expensive to part with R233 000 therefor eskom will continue to bully us until a cheaper than this comes to play
Eskom use to give out rebates for solar geysers etc. Nowadays there isn't money to offer rebates

bassplayer

Solar will not be cheaper in the long run. Why must SA citizens fork out so much money for a basic service? Its cheaper to move overseas, which is probably the best option.

rrh

Expert Member
Eskom use to give out rebates for solar geysers etc. Nowadays there isn't money to offer rebates

From the 1st February 2015 the Department of Energy will be responsible for the solar geyser rebate.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master

Heard on the radio today that corruption has cost SA something ridiculous like R700 billion in the last 20 years?