How much you will have to pay to say “Goodbye Eskom”

Paul_S

Expert Member
Two things. One you have to run the genny or no power. It will shake itself to death in a short while if you run it 24/7.
Two our system is modular, the Honda limits you severely.

The Honda's are well built and even the small units should handle plenty of workload.
The Honda inverter generators are also modular so you are able run multiple units in parallel to get more power or redundancy.
Even the baby EU10i has parallel operation sockets to sync the output of the inverters into a single AC output.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I am not trying to sell anything on this forum, I joined to discuss and swop ideas.

OMW... your call, but I am a potential customer asking for info. A PM would be fine, if not, that's fine too... or do you not sell a product? Perhaps you can put a salesman in touch with me... do you have anything you can email?

Last edited by a moderator:

Section Eight

OMW. I have met many "potential customers" like you. If you want to buy what we have developed to date, it works, tested it... the price and system is on the Notes section of our page. If not, that is also fine by me. Question. Why is your user name that of a snake? Curious.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
OMW. I have met many "potential customers" like you. If you want to buy what we have developed to date, it works, tested it... the price and system is on the Notes section of our page. If not, that is also fine by me. Question. Why is your user name that of a snake? Curious.

Answer: Why not?

Ok.. notes... that's under 'more' by the looks.
So for anyone else interested, here's what's there:

In order to set up a basic system to, firstly, fill in for the blackouts we developed and tested a generator driven system that has very low running costs.(4 hours on 2lt of fuel) Once you have a system in place the biggest expense is fuel for your generator. The system we developed is a modular one, so from getting just your lights and TV on to the full running of your household is possible. It is also possible to add on solar panels if you wish. Please note these are the general system and prices and will fluctuate according to your personal needs. Delivery / Courier cost not included.

Tiny Generator System One.
Inverter 1000 ( Pure Sine Wave)
Battery charger
2 x Deep Charge Batteries
Small generator (2.2 HP. 650W)
4 x LED lamps (220v. 3000K)
Wiring
Price R12 950.00

Tiny Generator System Two.
Inverter 3000W ( Pure Sine Wave)
Battery charger
Wiring
Price R19 000.00

Tiny Generator System Three.
Inverter 5000W ( Pure Sine Wave)
Battery charger
Wiring
Price R24 500.00

Wayne, can you ask your tech guy...
In system 3, will the genny keep the batteries perpetually charged as long as there's fuel even when there's full load? What brand of Genny would I be buying?

P924

Expert Member
Answer: why not?

Ok.. notes... that's under 'more' by the looks.
So for anyone else interested, here's what's there:

In system 3, will the genny keep the batteries perpetually charged as long as there's fuel even when there's full load? What brand of Genny would I be buying?

I think they roll their own with a car alternator and some sort of 2.2HP engine.

@Section Eight
2x Batteries with a 3kW inverter, or with a 5kW inverter? Have you calculated your current requirements for that, can the batteries and the cabling handle that sort of current draw?

Assuming it is a 24V inverter, 3kW means 125A, which is fine for most batteries if you draw that for less than 30 seconds, most don't handle such currents for longer well. Also your charge capacity is greatly reduced.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
There is a way to use power and charge at the same time. I am running my laptop right now and the batteries are charging. Please note, I am NOT the technical guy in Section Eight.
...I should hope so, otherwise it's just a generator to charge your batteries while the main supply is working fine.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I think they roll their own with a car alternator and some sort of 2.2HP engine.

@Section Eight
2x Batteries with a 3kW inverter, or with a 5kW inverter? Have you calculated your current requirements for that, can the batteries and the cabling handle that sort of current draw?

Assuming it is a 24V inverter, 3kW means 125A, which is fine for most batteries if you draw that for less than 30 seconds, most don't handle such currents for longer well. Also your charge capacity is greatly reduced.

Eh... yep, the maths just doesn't work. I'm picturing sustaining that kind of load for that amount of time into and out of any battery... and then there's the issue of a 650w power source for charging while there's a 5kw draw.

Section Eight

The brand of genny we using at the moment is a Fragram. I looked at the Yamaha, it appears to be the same, except: the exhaust is slightly different and it weights much more. The price is also double.

Seriously

Honorary Master
I am not trying to sell anything on this forum, I joined to discuss and swop ideas.

Sure I believe you. ;)You have a farmers weekly dated 15June1984? they have the full design of your offering in there as a project. Old tech. :D

Last edited:

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
The brand of genny we using at the moment is a Fragram. I looked at the Yamaha, it appears to be the same, except: the exhaust is slightly different and it weights much more. The price is also double.

Ah, OK, thanks for the response. I won't touch their tools but believe some of their hardware isn't the worst.

Section Eight

My technical guy says to tell you not to worry about that, as you are thinking in a box. "We have a few small things to retest but will sort that out very soon."

Section Eight

Sure! I always keep ancient magazines meant for farmers in my storeroom, I will be sure to look up that article. :)

Seriously

Honorary Master
Sure! I always keep ancient magazines meant for farmers in my storeroom, I will be sure to look up that article. :)

Use them to create steam then you will have an even cheaper although unfortunately unsustainable solution.

Mr Feesh

Expert Member
Looking at changing my geyser. I see the general rule is if you don't have much sun the heat pump is more effective. How ever living in Durban where are winters are relatively warm and we have a fair amount of sun, is solar the way to go? We are a family of 4, would say we fall on the higher end of water usage. I would look at going for like a 400 liter solar geyser.