How much you will pay per month to own a Land Rover Defender V8

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
These articles don't belong here. The people who earn that kind of money would buy it cash...and I doubt they frequent these forums

Tman543

These articles don't belong here. The people who earn that kind of money would buy it cash...and I doubt they frequent these forums
Agree, surely if you have R2.3mil for a vehicle, you spend most of your time sipping cocktails on the beach or playing games in parliament.

If one finance a vehicle over a R1 mil using the common vehicle finance methods then I wander how they even qualify to purchase the vehicle.

ubercal

Expert Member
Agree, surely if you have R2.3mil for a vehicle, you spend most of your time sipping cocktails on the beach or playing games in parliament.

If one finance a vehicle over a R1 mil using the common vehicle finance methods then I wander how they even qualify to purchase the vehicle.
stealing tax payers money and looting of public funds :unsure: ;)

saturnz

Honorary Master

have followed people like schmee and superspeederrob, they have stated that finance is the best way to go about purchasing these type of cars, but the cars they purchase increase in value, not so sure about this landrover

Tman*

Expert Member

There can be lots of reasons to finance cars R1m+

For example capital can be better used in business ventures as apposed to buying cash. As the saying goes, it takes money to make money

Aghori

Honorary Master

Not at all. I would rather take it over 5 years with no balloon. I'd actually save money that way.

Edit: There's actually a Rover (the afrikaans guy type rover) permanently parked in my flat's garage in Margate...2 years not been started and gathering dust.

Last edited:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
R44,687per month :X3: o_O :oops::eek:
For me personally, it's having the 10% of R2.3 million laying around to put down to start the financing process :eek:

What ↓ said.
Someone who earns enough money to buy that in cash... wouldn't buy that in cash.

Lots of business owners or people by the means would use these kinds of assets to play around with, rather than just hand over that money to SARS, etc.

Though cars are liabilities, but some are obviously going to give you great returns down the line. Not that I feel this is that kind of investment.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
The people who earn that kind of money would buy it cash...

Its the opposite. In order to offset the cost of your interest payments, your compounded net return by investing only needs be about half of what your loans interest rate is. That would be 4.5% if we take the 9% from the article. Basic savings account gives you that return, lol.

azbob

Honorary Master
Can someone show all the calculations on whether it’s cheaper to buy it cash.

Norrad

Expert Member
And then double that amount just to keep it moving because it's a frickin Land Rover.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

It’s actually not wrong for that reason but because people who buy this would do so on a deal with a massive balloon/residual over a period of three-five years with a GFV trade in and then get a new one at the end of the term.

Nobody would finance it like this with the intention of keeping it afterwards.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Don’t need a calculation.

Of course it’s cheaper. By a massive margin.

This deal charges you 9% per year to own it, not to mention other service fees etc on top.

Aghori

Honorary Master

Don't need calculations when the personal income tax rate we pay is 45%, for the banks it's 9% p/a interest and all sorts of made-up bank charges... You save a **** ton of money.