How much you will pay to drive from Joburg to Durban

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
How much you will pay to drive from Joburg to Durban

From 1 March 2021, you will pay R272 in toll fees to drive between Johannesburg and Durban, while a trip to or from Cape Town will cost R197.

Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula has approved toll tariff increases as recommended by the South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL), the agency has announced.

Dups!

Expert Member
I thought this wanna-be celebrity would give info on the e-tolls?

mypetcow

How is this news? The tolls basically got adjusted for inflation.

It’s as if it’s somehow surprising that road maintenance costs money.

Next thing someone claims, “back in my day I only used to pay R2.50 in tolls from Joburg to Durban. Must be the government reaching even deeper into my pockets.” :ROFL:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Next thing someone claims, “back in my day I only used to pay R2.50 in tolls from Joburg to Durban. Must be the government reaching even deeper into my pockets.” :ROFL:
Must be fun seeing how much of that toll you're paying not actually going to the road maintenance.

The Voice

Honorary Master

You know that road maintenance usually comes out of the petrol price, right? As in, 31% of every litre you put in your car is for the General Fuel Levy. There's billions in that kitty. Or, at least, there used to be.

Sheppy

I really would like a journalist to do some research and tell us what the toll fees on the N3 have actually been since inception. I find it difficult to believe they really have simply kept pace with CPI...

dingaanone

In my day I did not pay cent in Toll Fees, other than tax paid at the pump there was no other funding for our road infrastructure and then the CNA happened and all was gone and enter toll fees that also disappear faster than what they are earned

Gazg

****ers keep hitting the motorists, the fuel levy is going up soon as well.

mypetcow

You know that road maintenance usually comes out of the petrol price, right? As in, 31% of every litre you put in your car is for the General Fuel Levy. There's billions in that kitty. Or, at least, there used to be.
According to the RAF the general fuel levy is more like 21%.

https://www.raf.co.za/About-Us/Pages/Fuel-Levy.aspx

Even so that’s for all roads in SA. Even ones in the suburbs connecting a distant farm.

So for a heavily trafficked route like a highway it’s only logical to additionally tax the vehicles actually traveling on it as they are the ones causing disproportional wear and tear to the road and it would be unfair to work this cost into something like the general fuel levy.

You do know that SA isn’t the only country in the world that has both toll roads and a form of fuel levy?

The Voice

Honorary Master

Even so that’s for all roads in SA. Even ones in the suburbs connecting a distant farm.

So for a heavily trafficked route like a highway it’s only logical to additionally tax the vehicles actually traveling on it as they are the ones causing disproportional wear and tear to the road and it would be unfair to work this cost into something like the general fuel levy.

You do know that SA isn’t the only country in the world that has both toll roads and a form of fuel levy?

It is the only country in the world to keep tolling a ring road after completion of the upgrade to it, though (eish-tolls).

And my stats came from the AA. There are two parts to it: the RAF Levy and The General Fuel Levy. So more than half of what you pay per litre of fuel in SA is made up of those two levies.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

You know that due to a highway having way more cars than most other roads, it should probably make up for the difference in wear and tear by the fact that more petrol was burnt by those cars while it was on it.
The taxes we pay for road infrastructure are quite disproportianate compared to how much actually goes to the road system, there have been calls by opposition parties to ring fence it, but government is not going to do it. It's something like every 25.5c is R29bn, the fuel levy is R3.77, so ~R420bn if the papers figures are correct, I know I had the full figures somewhere else and they were higher since diesel etc.

That's way more than enough to pay for roads, most of the e-tolls system was for R21bn: https://mg.co.za/article/2010-11-09-how-gautengs-toll-roads-will-work/
And most of the cost you pay currently goes to paying for the administration/investment of it rather than the original amount it cost, it would have probably been like R10bn to do what they did, which should easily be payable form the fuel levy before even considering an increase of a "mere" 10c for a year.

Ginad28

And of that how much is going into deep pockets

The Light Green Hornet

You know that due to a highway having way more cars than most other roads, it should probably make up for the difference in wear and tear by the fact that more petrol was burnt by those cars while it was on it.
The taxes we pay for road infrastructure are quite disproportianate compared to how much actually goes to the road system, there have been calls by opposition parties to ring fence it, but government is not going to do it. It's something like every 25.5c is R29bn, the fuel levy is R3.77, so ~R420bn if the papers figures are correct, I know I had the full figures somewhere else and they were higher since diesel etc.

That's way more than enough to pay for roads, most of the e-tolls system was for R21bn: https://mg.co.za/article/2010-11-09-how-gautengs-toll-roads-will-work/
And most of the cost you pay currently goes to paying for the administration/investment of it rather than the original amount it cost, it would have probably been like R10bn to do what they did, which should easily be payable form the fuel levy before even considering an increase of a "mere" 10c for a year.
The ANC and buddies have got to pay back their exile sponsors.

Sepeng

Expert Member
Long weekend in Durbs coming up, is there anything more classic than the JHB-Durban drive? Can't wait baby!