How Neotel shook up the South African telecoms market

Lupus

Honorary Master
My gran does have one of their wireless handsets, R99 a month and it works perfectly, my dad uses them for his internet at home, think he pays R99 as well for 5megs and 10 gigs of data, perfectly fine for his use.

Drone 42

What Fibre providers are doing now Neotel should have done 10 years ago when they started. They failed as competition to Telkom.

siraman

Expert Member
From a consumers point of view and the reason(ok,one of them) for Neotel's existence it was rather depressing reading this article.By the way do they have a footprint(residential) besides Gauteng?

falcon786

Honorary Master
Pity I don't see them anywhere. It's like building that big city in the sky in the desert and then just waiting for people to come but nobody ever does.
You mean like Dubai,they built and the people came,flip they come by the millions!:D

But I get what you mean,Neotels coverage is basically non-existent,they have failed to deliver on their promises when their license was granted.A few people use their backhaul and some businesses use their fibre,they are quite satisfied but neotel has failed to provide for the average consumer.

What Fibre providers are doing now Neotel should have done 10 years ago when they started. They failed as competition to Telkom.
Indeed,we could have had substantial fibre coverage by now,instead they choose to buy into the CDMA dead horse.