How not paying your TV licence can impact your credit record

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
How not paying your TV licence can impact your credit record

Continuing to refuse to pay your TV licence could eventually damage your credit record.

This is according to Stefanie Fick, executive director of the accountability division at the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse (OUTA).

MyBroadband received a complaint from a reader who had been informed by the SABC that he was handed over to the TV Licence debt collection agency for being two months behind on his TV licence payment.

geekonometry

"She maintained that the SABC could not continue insisting that paying one’s TV licence was “the right thing to do”, while there has been corruption and maladministration within the public broadcaster"

This right here ^ ever since i read that there was an ANC cadre lining his pockets years ago, i stopped paying. I will refuse to pay for candre enrichment. Prove to me that corruption and maladministration is non existing and i will gladly pay the damn licence

chrisc

Executive Member
Why such a fuss? Its a minimal amount. We know its mostly wasted, but wife likes watching the travel program and its broadcast in HD today (well, SABC-3 is)

3WA

Honorary Master
Thanks for reminder - I just paid mine. It was due 1 April.

I avoided the drug culture due to information from SABC programmes.

eg2505

Honorary Master
somebody has to pay for the corruption, lets intimidate people
maybe soon enough Etolls will get listed on your credit rating.

mypetcow

Seriously?...

Someone blatantly stealing your money, even if its R5, is not a problem?
So we agree that things need to be improved at the SABC. Cutting funding most likely won’t have the effect you think it will.

It’s like your approach is basically:

Poor work performance at work? Let’s cut your pay while we demand reform? How would you like that?

Or like getting a chicken pie at the corner shop but not liking the fact that they are not handling their finances properly. Because of this you refuse to pay for the pies you occasionally buy until they reform....

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Poor work performance at work? Let’s cut your pay while we demand reform? How would you like that?
getting fired is exactly that: cutting your pay to zero due to poor performance

Or like getting a chicken pie at the corner shop but not liking the fact that they are not handling their finances properly. Because of this you refuse to pay for the pies you occasionally buy until they reform....
no, you stop going to the shop, unfortunately nobody is allowed to stop receiving the SABC's "service"

if you actually consume their content you should pay the hell up, if not and you'd rather not have it at all they should cut you off, but they'd rather hide behind the law to make everyone pay for shyte nobody wants

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Thats nice Stefanie Fick, but could you please point to one example where the SABC has actually taken the thing to court to get a default judgement. Just one.