How not to react when your child tells you that he's gay

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;1df_i26wh-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1df_i26wh-w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

*sigh*

Courtesy of Reddit.

There's also a gofundme page out there to support him.

shogun

Expert Member
They are chops, but he approached the whole situation from completely the wrong angle. Does he have no EQ?

And people watch that and give him $92,345 and counting? That's just shy of R1 million. Good grief, I've seen far worse family feuds. I predict a new trend of video taping family feuds and pocking thick cash. People are idiots.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
They are chops, but he approached the whole situation from completely the wrong angle. Does he have no EQ?

And people watch that and give him $92,345 and counting? That's just shy of R1 million. Good grief, I've seen far worse family feuds. I predict a new trend of video taping family feuds and pocking thick cash. People are idiots.
Ja look, I personally would not have put that up on the net for all to see. Dirty laundry and all that. BUT, fact is, it happens....and it happens a lot. Kids being kicked out or beaten or both because of coming out.

Spliffcat

Expert Member
Given me a brilliant idea to do a practical joke on my parents, alas it may be too dangerous they may keel over and curl up their toes.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
If any of my three kids turn out to be gay, I would not be phased in the slightest, as long as whoever they partner up with cares and loves them properly, after all it's now there life's not mine....

shogun

Expert Member
Ja look, I personally would not have put that up on the net for all to see. Dirty laundry and all that. BUT, fact is, it happens....and it happens a lot. Kids being kicked out or beaten or both because of coming out.
Totally get that, and we do need more awareness around the issue. I'm actually just shocked that people are shelling out that much cash. Surely once he's got his fill, either he turns around and says "thanks I have enough", or people stop and say "he's got enough, lets give to the next worthy cause".

He's gone way past the point of asking for support... at the moment he's just milking it, and people are enabling him. The pity card is getting taken way too far.

IzZzy

Executive Member
I would be disappointed if my child felt the need to come out to me, because it means I would have not been paying much attention to begin with.

Straight, gay, trans, bi - I really don't care. Your life, you live it. I'll just be there when you need me.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
If any of my three kids turn out to be gay, I would not be phased in the slightest, as long as whoever they partner up with cares and loves them properly, after all it's now there life's not mine....
/Cheers Morty

KOM ONS BRAAI!

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Totally get that, and we do need more awareness around the issue. I'm actually just shocked that people are shelling out that much cash. Surely once he's got his fill, either he turns around and says "thanks I have enough", or people stop and say "he's got enough, lets give to the next worthy cause".

He's gone way past the point of asking for support... at the moment he's just milking it, and people are enabling him. The pity card is getting taken way too far.
What the **** are you on about? The guy's doing the right thing and donating the excess to LGBT organisations who deal with precisely the same problems he's going through on a daily basis.

How about reading the funding page before throwing out baseless assumptions? Might even give you a clue why people are still donating.

It's a matter that strikes a chord in the hearts of many and it's important for many to feel as though they've helped in whatever way they can.

Knyro

Honorary Master
I know quite a few people from conservative families that didn't dare come out to their parents until they were out of the house and making their own money because they feared getting disowned. Some of them are almost 30 and still haven't.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
/Cheers Morty

KOM ONS BRAAI!
Oh! I forgot to mention, I have already told Firstborn Moose and MiddleMoose, that whoever they do intend to marry/partner with will have to run through one Saturday afternoon with their old man, staying on par with me..... do that, then you have my blessing, Oh! and lay one single finger on any of my three clan members, I shall be calling in my brothers, who by the way are both younger than me, but way broader and bigger.... failing that, I have a pact with my mate next door, the diamond diver, who is fekkin' nuts and has done some serious shirt, knowing serious people..... but that;s another tale for another day......

shogun

Expert Member
What the **** are you on about? The guy's doing the right thing and donating the excess to LGBT organisations who deal with precisely the same problems he's going through on a daily basis.

How about reading the funding page before throwing out baseless assumptions? Might even give you a clue why people are still donating.
Oh there it is. The predictable backlash from someone making assumptions on my state of mind, or my ability to read and analyse a situation. Yes I read his funding page. All of it. The only mention there, is of a
certain precentage
. I'm sorry, but I can't be the only one that thinks handing a 19 yr old a million bucks is a bad idea. Go ahead and donate to the relevant organization then. Perhaps then you will get some transparency and accountability of where and how the money will be spent.

That's what the **** I am on about (not seeing the reason to get all emotive and use strong language here, but let's go there then). There is no definition of the "excess" you refer to on his funding page. So my comment goes to the fact that people are so overtaken by emotion that they are not thinking about what they are going to be doing to this guy's perception of life.

This funding campaign is an example of people not thinking their actions through properly.

It's a matter that strikes a chord in the hearts of many and it's important for many to feel as though they've helped in whatever way they can.
Exactly why these people should be donating to the relevant organisations directly and not to a 19yr boy who posted a video online. They have no guarantee that their money won't just go into a car and a spending spree... none.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
I think parents who cannot accept are living life with blinkers on, to an extent perhaps not their fault, as that was how they were raised, but the world has changed...... you risk of losing your "child" forever or gaining a "new" member to the family...

By the way, the same goes for marrying across the color bar......

love these debates with the Calvinist Afrikaaners in this platteland town....

We have a black gay hairdresser up here, very pleasant chap, talks the ears of a donkey , but all the blokes go and get their hair cut by him , because his quality of work is good.....

I'm sorry, but the only thing I see when I watch that video is absolutely everything that is wrong with religion.

Those parents are ****ing scum.

I love how the mom calls him a son of a bitch though. Yes, he absolutely is.

Last edited: