How often do you travel for work?

newjourno

Which fields still involve extensive travel nowadays? I work in the media field and it has certainly changed. Companies don't have money nowadays and so the very experienced Journo's will get to go (which is not even often) or if there is a major event happening, the companies will also often just hire a freelancer who is already there to cut costs.

Is this the way every field is going nowadays or are there jobs that still require extensive travel?

I have traveled internationally ( for work development purposes) to conferences which I had applied for.

ElixirCoder

Which fields still involve extensive travel nowadays? I work in the media field and it has certainly changed. Companies don't have money nowadays and so the very experienced Journo's will get to go (which is not even often) or if there is a major event happening, the companies will also often just hire a freelancer who is already there to cut costs.

Is this the way every field is going nowadays or are there jobs that still require extensive travel?

I have traveled internationally ( for work development purposes) to conferences which I had applied for.
I used to travel between CT and Joburg 3 or 4 times a month, and internationally around 5 times a year. I doubt travel will be as frequent in future.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Completely irrelevant during current situation....

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
also in similar job industry
from working a 5 days on 2 days off it is now
3 days on and about 5 days off @ 80% salary

saturnz

Honorary Master
when I was working on Mondays I had to take the "bus" to Jhb and then shuttled to Pretoria and return the same day, all just to have a meeting with my boss which lasted a max of two hours, I hated it

I think it cost them R6000 a trip, but they didn't seem to care

cguy

Executive Member
We have several offices around the world, and I would spend several months per year at some of them. Really just for facetime and a general desire to experience living in other countries and cities - not essential to my job, but I miss it.

I was supposed to be in London right now. :(

newjourno

We have several offices around the world, and I would spend several months per year at some of them. Really just for facetime and a general desire to experience living in other countries and cities - not essential to my job, but I miss it.

I was supposed to be in London right now. :(
Wow, this sounds cool. What field are you in?

newjourno

when I was working on Mondays I had to take the "bus" to Jhb and then shuttled to Pretoria and return the same day, all just to have a meeting with my boss which lasted a max of two hours, I hated it

I think it cost them R6000 a trip, but they didn't seem to care
If it is an multi-national, I can kind of understand. For them, R6000 might not seem a lot due to the currency conversion.