How on earth are we going to do 5G?

DTBA

Expert Member
After watching this

How are vodacom and mtn going to do 5G? The range on the antenna's suck. They are even now struggling with putting up towers because people don't want them on their property?

Also the backhaul needed :rolleyes:. Do we even have the fibre layout for this?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Telkom probably in the best position especially in Areas where they have Aerial Fibre

garp

Executive Member
Also the backhaul needed :rolleyes:. Do we even have the fibre layout for this?
I might be wrong, but I've never seen the point of this, or how it's even workable in practice. And future speeds of 20GB/s theoretically is all very cool, but what is the point really? What can't you achieve at current ideal speeds on LTE or fibre, that this will solve? I'm sure that some kind of Moore's type law of internet bandwidth applies, but what is on the horizon that would make that kind of bandwidth necessary at consumer level? Streaming ultra high def VR?

krycor

Honorary Master
I think for CBDs where density is high, this will be useful.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah the coverage of 5G will be so poor. I think we have reached a decent balance between coverage and speed with 3G (DC-HSDPA) and LTE/4G (2 or more carrier aggregation) 5G with the higher frequency bands will have very poor coverage only usable in high density areas with open areas like malls, parks or squares.

This is why I'm saying that 2G is still a while before it will be dead. 1 tower on a mountain with a low frequency 2G band like 850/900MHz has the potential to cover ~15km or more.

RuhanSA079

I agree with @cavedog.

The reason why 5G have to be so "densely" packed, (more 5G towers in a area than 4G towers, because of the wavelength of a particular frequency the tower(s) use that determine the coverage area and speeds... You can almost compare it to 2.4GHz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi, 5Ghz is faster, but its range is shorter than 2.4GHz while 2.4Ghz is slower...

Theoretically, in oder to have the same range as the lower frequencies, the transmit power must be boosted. That is not happening with 5G, hence the smaller base stations and more base stations per area, with beam forming, that will help with lower transmit power. So, I dont think we will see 5G anytime soon in a town, but in some areas in the city, ja. And will become expensive very quick.

And another question, is LTE nie klaar vinnig genoeg vir daai vinnige Youtube video of email nie? And, mobile data is expensive...

highvoltage

The promises you see in marketing about 5G is way overstated. The telco's like talking about demos and proof of concepts that they did, but those typically only involve on device in the area connected to the one tower. In reality it's not going to be better for the average consumer than 4G. In the US they even sell the usual 4G LTE as 5G on some plans and carriers, but it's just marketing. You have to take all the promises the telco companies are making with more than just a grain of salt.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
The point with LTE is, it enables more connections to a single tower. Especially those who are on the edge of a cell.

Also they limit the speed of LTE, so the can put more users on tower before it gets congested and falls over.

Otherwise we would have 600mbps LTE ... , you can only get so much water down a pipe.

More money to be made if you have 200 connections at 20mbps than 20 connections at 200mbps