How safe are we in the cyber world?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
How safe are we in the cyber world?

Judging from the keynote speakers at the ITWeb Security Summit 2015, to be safe from the cyber world one would have to find an island with a single palm tree for shade to be safe from people trying to monitor your every movement and steal whatever is on the device you may carry.

This is sadly the case these days, and for this reason many people I come into contact with, carry dongles on them and use prepaid SIM cards, switching between them at random.

Yep, dangerous out there. Probably best to get a few VPN servers and store your data on your own servers too. TBH, too much effort sometimes, let them have my data.

Don't put anything of value on the net. Don't do anything highly illegal on the net as well.

Also ownCLoud is pretty based. Just setup apache and drop the folder into the www directory :).
https://owncloud.org

I use ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes Premium, LastPass, Adblock Plus and always listen to ABP when it tells me not to visit a particular page. And all my documents are backed up to OneDrive. That's enough security for me. I can't recall the last time I had issues with my PC becoming bloated or crippled by viruses or malware, although I think TuneUp Utilities deserves much of the credit. That program is magic.

Last edited:
I use ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes Premium, LastPass, Adblock Plus and always listen to ADP when it tells me not to visit a particular page. And all my documents are backed up to OneDrive. That's enough security for me. I can't recall the last time I had issues with my PC becoming bloated or crippled by viruses or malware, although I think TuneUp Utilities deserves much of the credit. That program is magic.

I most prefer using my brain. You know not clicking and/or installing unknown files. I do like Lastpass and uBlock a lot though.

Exactly how does "six years" old data enable you to prevent against today's security vulnerabilities? Wow I'd like to see their analysis and report on that :confused:. At that rate you can only be playing catchup...

I most prefer using my brain. You know not clicking and/or installing unknown files. I do like Lastpass and uBlock a lot though.

That's not enough. Sometimes stuff still manages to get through, especially when using removable storage. TuneUp Utilities makes a big difference too over the years, as it doesn't allow your PC to get gunked up with junk. It usually finds thousands of things to fix the first time you run the program. You may as well take the extra steps, considering how cheap software is on stores like G2A.

Keeping Windows up to date is also important.

That's not enough. Sometimes stuff still manages to get through, especially when using removable storage. TuneUp Utilities makes a big difference too over the years, as it doesn't allow your PC to get gunked up with junk. It usually finds thousands of things to fix the first time you run the program. You may as well take the extra steps, considering how cheap software is on stores like G2A.

Keeping Windows up to date is also important.

Windows8 has an inbuilt Antivirus. That is good enough IMO.

The island is the only safe place. Actually it might not be as they might just pursue you via satellites

Cyber security is the biggest concern for the world. So we can not be removed it totally, but yes awareness towards it will help to reduce it to a certain level.

Back